Menu
Highlighted
Lissy_M
Joining in
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Relying on dependable internet for my Salary!

Hi Tony,

Unfortunately we didn't keep the old box. Kind of kicking myself about it now, but everything was perfect in the beginning! Infact we're now a couple of months in and the problems have just started.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Lissy_M wrote:

Hi Tony,

Unfortunately we didn't keep the old box. Kind of kicking myself about it now, but everything was perfect in the beginning! Infact we're now a couple of months in and the problems have just started.

then its worth posting some info from the hub3

log into hub - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

Tony
0 Kudos
Jester25
Tuning in
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator

If you rely on it for your salary, you should get business.

In reality its tax deductible  as its for work and more importantly, networks team look after it and have strict SLAs or you get refunded.

unlike Domestic where once you sign you belong to Vermin Media!!

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- if you get charged an install then I'd expect them to be doing more than turning up and connecting a box and if they installed the 'business' service on consumer kit (cabling) then thats not what you should be getting - if you've got the 'business' cabling then you know how different it really is.

As @Jester25 has said its more the access to people who know whats going on and will be honest with you if things screw up somewhere back in my post history I explained that the virgin media network status said no issues in my area...only for VMB live chat to confirm not only an issue in my area but that it was affecting around 400 customers (VMB and VM) and it was a known fault for a couple of months (and then gave me the master ticket for the area), not like the clowns of the consumer customer service call centres that deny any problems (when they are known, puma6 for example). I've had my own issues with VMB in the contract term, but nothing by comparison to the nightmare that some of the users post and some of the conversations I've had with members via PM, one user is on his 25th engineer visit because VM deny any problem, and he's had multiple hub3's, and the problem persists, I can tell you on business you would not get treated that way, or you'd get months of free service or discount offered, at what point does VM admit its an area fault or wiring fault that they need to fix? instead of constantly wasting customer money sending engineers and new routers?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Luke_113 - cannot argue or disagree with anything that you say but what is technically different apart from business use the Hitron hub - am i not correct in my understanding that from the internal box back there is no new cables for business - the difference as you say is the support and SLA's and the cost to cover that

there is only one network - different uses but nothing else

Tony
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- wrote:

@Luke_113 - cannot argue or disagree with anything that you say but what is technically different apart from business use the Hitron hub - am i not correct in my understanding that from the internal box back there is no new cables for business - the difference as you say is the support and SLA's and the cost to cover that

there is only one network - different uses but nothing else

Tony is quite correct.  Nothing from a cabling point of view differs as between residential and business.   Any SLA you might get from business covers response time only, not fix time.  Any locality fault hits residential users as well and you will suffer the same fix time as they would.  Fortunately these events are rare.

There are two other important things for your connection to be deemed successful:

1.  Your Hub 3 firmware must be 9.1.116.608 

2.  Your area must not be oversubscribed (that'll be seen by peak time lag/ slow speeds)

Modem mode and a decent router (e.g. ASUS RT-AC67U) helps.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Lissy_M
Joining in
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- wrote:

@Lissy_M wrote:

Hi Tony,

then its worth posting some info from the hub3

log into hub - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

I did that.

I'm not really sure I understand what I'm looking at though! What do I do with these/give them to?

Sorry!

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Copy/Paste the stats into the next post in this thread (don't worry about formatting).

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

"Nothing from a cabling point of view differs as between residential and business."

Usually I wouldn't question things you say as I've read many of your posts and find them useful.

But I can unequivocally state the business cabling IS different, 2 neighbours in my road have consumer Virgin and off of what I assume is a larger trunk cabling that we all connect to through ducting, have different internal and external cabling, both cables are thinner and black, where as my external cabling is a light grey colour and at least twice as thick (and also not entirely circular), into a smallish white box screwed to my wall and into, again a internal black cable around twice the thickness of my neighbours cabling, one neighbour had Virgin before me (how I came to know they'd cabled the road) and one since I've had my connection installed, and their cabling is identical.

I don't know if this is down to the installers not being Virgin staff, they were contractors (and didn't turn up in a Virgin truck and had a large drum of the wiring and it was a crew of 4 (although 1 guy was retirement age but they kept him around as they claimed he was a legend haha he just chatted and drank loads of tea that I made them), but he explained that the company he worked for do alot of installs for Virgin Business but not Virgin.

In my case prior to them pulling the wiring via ducting to the house there was no Virgin wiring to the property, and at the time Virgin had probably been available less than a year in my road, so I don't know if this is the reasoning why.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I'd put that down to install dates. Your last paragraph comes sort of close.

I had VMB installed (gone now) but, of course, it came in on the 1997 cabling. New installs are very much on uprated cabling not the least because as they go up to the 1GHz downstream frequencies the need to minimise power attenuation. As they also go down to 100MHz for the downstream spread, they have to minimise induced noise.

I would obviously concede that the cable they have on the van needs to meet a minimum specification and yes, I did know that the VMB contractors are different from the VM residential contractors.

A couple of years ago, I brought VMB over residential into a major UK organisation. The cable was bog standard (though high quality) residential in a long established area.

0 Kudos