Highlighted
crosby87
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Recurring Game Connection Issues

Hi team/all,

Sorry in advance for the huge post.

I didn't know whether to necro an old thread or start a new one, but given some changing circumstances I thought it would be better to just link it here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/router-check/td-p/2851042

Effectively it just mentions that my connection is amazing for everything except for gaming, and that no matter what I tried, the problem remained.

Sadly I need to report I have exactly the same situation, three years later, despite having moved house in this time, a few miles away. I now play Counter Strike instead of CoD and yet I have the same problems as before with FPS gaming. Connection to everything else remains superb (I haven't had any downtime at all in the two-and-a-half years I have been here), upload and download speeds have been excellent, and I also don't need a phone line, so I've stuck with Virgin so far.

The quality of the gaming connection, however, is only what I would call "good" probably about once a month on average. It will work flawlessly for a few days once in a while and then, one day, it will suddenly become unusably bad, and this will last for weeks or even months. I get these issues any time of day or night, wired connection or wireless...

Boring and probably irrelevant details to follow(!):

When I am on a local server on my own computer, everything is fine. However, online play is a completely different story. Although my game looks perfectly smooth when I am actually playing it, I watch the demos of myself afterwards and I can see my movement across the map is very jagged whereas almost everyone else moves smoothly, as if the game server is updating my actions far less frequently than it is doing so with everyone else. I have many screenshots of people instantly hitting/killing me, sometimes while still running, despite their crosshair being nowhere near me at the time (literally a hand's width on the monitor apart from my player model), or me missing unmissable shots even with my crosshair exactly where it should be. Initially I thought the problem might be just my imagination because my on-screen network stats are always good, but after analysing demos and seeing this pattern repeated over and over again it gets a bit tiring to see. I occasionally get significant on-screen lag the instant a player peeks me from around a corner - the worst time to get it! - but no visible lag at any other time. There is also a weird issue where, in game, I stop my movement before shooting (as the game engine wants), whereas on watching the demo afterwards I am still moving while I start shooting, which makes my first two or three bullets completely pointless as they don't go anywhere near the intended target. All in all it adds up to a pretty terrible experience...

I am posting this again now as it has been too long with the same issues. I would like to know if anything can be done to fix this, or if anything else has changed since I last reported these problems? Is there any way I can "trial" the VIVID 350 without a proper contract to see if that has any effect due to its lack of traffic management (happy to pay for one month of it, for example, but does that seem likely to work anyway? I'm guessing not given the fact these issues happen consistently throughout the day). Are there any issues with my connection/Superhub that you can see? I may well have a setting somewhere that's not configured properly, but I am struggling to think how this can be the case given that, as mentioned, the connection can work perfectly once in a blue moon and then be terrible the rest of the time. Just as an FYI, I was at home in the daytime last week and my connection from around Monday to Wednesday was great, no problems at all.

If nothing can be done, then I will (reluctantly) be leaving and moving to another provider as a last ditch attempt to solve things, as my gaming enjoyment is a priority to me. I'm not sure that will solve things either - maybe I am just expecting too much? - but I need to try something.

Thanks in advance for any help, it is really appreciated,

Alex

DRIZTT
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recurring Game Connection Issues

I am having the exact same problem. the connection drop rate has gone from 5-8 per hr  to 1 every 1-2 mins in the last 2hrs. its getting persistently worst.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@crosby87 wrote:

...Is there any way I can "trial" the VIVID 350 without a proper contract to see if that has any effect due to its lack of traffic management...

Thought I'd reply to mention that since the beginning of 2018 there is no longer any traffic management on the VM network, so that rules it out as being the issue.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

crosby87
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@DRIZTT

Unfortunately you're experiencing exactly the opposite of the problem I am having: I stay connected 24/7 but it's the performance I am having issues with.

@DreamOfCheese

That is very useful - not to mention interesting - information, thanks! I remember John_G previously advising me it might be a traffic shaping issue last time, would you know whether this could still be the case now?

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Traffic shaping would have been part of the traffic management as it'd count under prioritised data, according to the document presented with their traffic management policy as of earlier this year they operate absolutely no shaping of any kind on IP traffic regardless of port or protocol.

The document can be found on the link I gave earlier or direct here: https://assets.virginmedia.com/help/assets/documents/Virgin_Fibre_Traffic_Management_Key_Facts_Indic...

tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Post some speed and latency tests, and setup a BQM. Also your power levels from the hub

Are you connected wired? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi crosby87,

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your connection.

I have taken a look and I can see intermittent FECS. I would like to get an engineer out to take a look at this for you.

I will pop you a Pm to get this arranged. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope top right hand corner.

Speak to you soon.

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi DRIZTT,

Thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to see you have had trouble with your connection.

I have taken a look and things seem to be ok from this side. It may help to try the following so we can rule some things out:

Pop the hub into Modem Mode with the computer in Safe Mode with Networking at different times of the day.

Try on separate devices.

Check Ethernet cable. Make sure it is new / up to date. (Cat 5e or above).

Make sure device is capable of agreed speed.

Check wireless card slide.

Take care.

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos