Menu
jsfxuk
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet cutting out every 5 minutes

I have a PS4.

When i log into a game/ lobby, i get kicked after 10 mins (usually during a game) and have to go back to the lobby and either wait for my friends or lose place in my league and it is very frustrating.

I thought it was because i hadn't paid my bill, turned out i paid my bill on time and i paid this one early, still happening.

Spoke to "support" for 30 mins who transferred me to "gadget support" who told me i had to pay a subscription. I promptly got angry as i warned them i would do, and hung up because they couldn't help.

Advised them that i have taken my PS4 to a neighbour on VM and it didn't happen there and i took their PS4 here to mine and it didn't happen.

Surprise, surprise, they still said it was the PS4...

Can anyone help me here, please?

0 Kudos
SimonHayterUK
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Are you wired or wireless?
0 Kudos
jsfxuk
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wired

0 Kudos
Raymac1947
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have managed to increase my speed by buying another router, I had a local guy come and he assessed my setup and supplied. fitted a TP Link archer router and configured a load of settings which instantly brought my speed from 65,33 download to 174.49,,,,,, the upload went from 18 to 20.

I live in a rented house and the landlord had the engineer install the router in a place where I can not hard wire, he will not allow cables to be run around the house, my own local engineer fitted in the TP link plus gadgets that fit in your wall sockets which I can haed wire to (which I am)

At least I have no more drop outs or have to wait hours for my youtube videos to be posted,

But it is a bit naughty of Virgin to advertise these fantastic speeds when they can't produce half of what is advertised, plus that you have to buy another router to receive a faster and more stable connection, they should supply a router that works as advertised,,,, most complaints on here are about router problems, surely Virgin can listen to their customers and sort it out.

Ray

0 Kudos
jsfxuk
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Not a speed issue, just cuts out after 5/10 mins of use.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@jsfxuk wrote:

Advised them that i have taken my PS4 to a neighbour on VM and it didn't happen there and i took their PS4 here to mine and it didn't happen.

Surprise, surprise, they still said it was the PS4...

Can anyone help me here, please?

If your test with another PS4 on your line didn't reproduce the fault it doesn't sound like an obvious fault with you line as logically that would impact all PS4s and possibly other devices.

Do you and your neighbour have the same model of VM hub?

Do you and your neighbour have the same model of PS4?  With the introduction of the PS4 slim and Pro, Sony did tweak some things from the original model, mainly with the addition of 5Ghz wireless.

Did you use the same Ethernet cable for each test, have you tried a different one?

Is it all games or just one specific game?

Clutching at straws, but your tests so far haven't pointed to an obvious culprit for your issue.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
jsfxuk
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Only happens on my hub, i have now discovered that it is also affecting WiFi too.

its the hub

0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) John_G
Moderator (Retired)
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jsfxuk,

Sorry to hear you're getting drop outs. I've just checked your connection and can see there are no area faults at present but I was unable to test your hub as it's currently offline. Ive you've had the hub turned off could you leave it on for us to run some tests? Or have i caught it in the midst of a disconnect as you describe?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
jsfxuk
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi John.

Thank you for your reply.

the router is off as I am not in the house.

i doubt you would find a fault, it seems to be a 1-10 second drop. And reconnects sonic I am in a game or remote connection, it drops.

i know there no faults in the area, it literally happens for a few seconds. I know it also happens when I live stream on YouTube or the like where it doesn’t have a chance to “pre-load” a programme so that’s why it doesn’t happen with Netflix etc 

0 Kudos