cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random disconnects when gaming

Barloue
Tuning in

Needing some help people. Random disconnects when playing games online. Tried changing to separate router and same thing. Connection doesn’t go off completely just like it pauses for a few seconds and it’s enough to disconnect me from game servers etc. Happens on both wired and wireless connection. Done bqm and it has random ping spikes going up to over 150ms. Been reading constantly about it as it’s been happening for a while now and supposedly the super hub 3 is rubbish. Heard they are replacing with the 4 which is meant to be loads better and doesn’t have this fault. How would I go about getting one from virgin. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pukka94
On our wavelength

I'm not the staff but hello 🙂

Plenty of heads having the same issue right now including me i can't put my finger exactly on what is the cause but i know the packet loss is at the router due to when i go modem mode i don't seem to get the packet loss. When router is on though i get 95% packet loss at the router 192.168.0.1 checked with pingplotter. I can put the interval time up to 5 seconds+  which pings slowly so i don't get any packet loss, moment i reduce the interval time to 1-2.5 seconds i get around 80%+  packet loss which clearly shows a config or power issue with the hub.  

I even spoke to a network technician today from virgin media however, the guy was working from home and clearly was just being lazy to look into it seen as he didn't even bother looking at my router config settings he just straight up hit me with "I've worked here 18 years i've never heard of anything like that i doubt it's that"..

So yh, he sent me another hub even though my hub at the moment is only 2 months old. Even when they carry out the initial network test it prompted me that i had to speak to a network technician so clearly something is wrong.

Sadly the technicians rather just have an easy job and throw another hub at us instead of just using a bit of common sense and checking the forums to see that this ain't just happening to one person which should mean that it's not a physical hub fault it's software based a bug of some sort.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Barloue
Tuning in

AD1C0BCE-3060-471E-9840-A5CD586215C6.png

CF2F8A9F-16AE-413E-A906-BC02B824764B.png

Barloue
Tuning in

Don’t know how to post the bqm for it. Anyone any ideas?

Guessing that none of the stuff want to look into my problem then? Plenty ping spikes and packet loss this morning a couple times. Nothing in the log of the modem itself to say there’s anything wrong??

Brilliant. Over a week since original post. WiFi dropping out. Packet loss on Ethernet connections slow speeds. High ping times and not even so much as a hello from any of the staff. Awesome 👍

pukka94
On our wavelength

I'm not the staff but hello 🙂

Plenty of heads having the same issue right now including me i can't put my finger exactly on what is the cause but i know the packet loss is at the router due to when i go modem mode i don't seem to get the packet loss. When router is on though i get 95% packet loss at the router 192.168.0.1 checked with pingplotter. I can put the interval time up to 5 seconds+  which pings slowly so i don't get any packet loss, moment i reduce the interval time to 1-2.5 seconds i get around 80%+  packet loss which clearly shows a config or power issue with the hub.  

I even spoke to a network technician today from virgin media however, the guy was working from home and clearly was just being lazy to look into it seen as he didn't even bother looking at my router config settings he just straight up hit me with "I've worked here 18 years i've never heard of anything like that i doubt it's that"..

So yh, he sent me another hub even though my hub at the moment is only 2 months old. Even when they carry out the initial network test it prompted me that i had to speak to a network technician so clearly something is wrong.

Sadly the technicians rather just have an easy job and throw another hub at us instead of just using a bit of common sense and checking the forums to see that this ain't just happening to one person which should mean that it's not a physical hub fault it's software based a bug of some sort.

Yeah for me it definitely seems to be either a hub or line issue. Started off with random high ping times. Then over last day or 2 has progressed to packet loss. Tried it in modem mode with ASUS router. Packet loss increases. Change it back to normal mode with my own router disconnected and random high ping again and packet loss. Devices in the house get randomly disconnected and needs a reboot to allow them back on again. Getting really frustrated with it to the point I’m looking into going elsewhere as I can’t play any of the games etc that I enjoy as they are too sensitive to ping issues. Noticed massive packet loss today when son was downloading a new game to his Xbox. It’s like the hub or line can’t handle the traffic. Used to be decent enough. Game downloading and would still work fine now it just plays havoc. Especially when I check the network quality via Xbox. Packet loss 6-10% while sons game downloads with ping of 100+ and lucky to hit 80mbps that’s with his Xbox downloading at roughly 60mbps. Stop his download and packet loss clears up and down to 40ms ping which still isn’t good enough. D/l speed hits 430mbps. Yes that makes it look like his Xbox cause the problem but that happens the other way round too. Plus with his disconnected it still has random packet loss and high ping spikes. As soon as there is any sort of load on the hub/line the whole connection goes to crap. 

thanks for taking the time to reply least I k ow it’s being seen. Just shows how strained and oversold the network actually is with all the posts about problems. Concentrating on making the 1gbps happen rather than solving the problems that are already there. Yes it should take the strains off but doesn’t help cabinets outside homes are running 6-8 properties on a 4 connection cabinet 🙄

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @Barloue

Thanks for your posts - sorry that you're still having some broadband issues at the moment.

I have located your account and I can confirm that you are not impacted by any known area issues - you are not in an area that is under any strain or in an oversold area. 

In fact, when looking at your services, everything is looking at it should, no issues showing, no area faults and all signals are within the specifications that we would expect. However - we can see that you may be having some issues with a few devices over WiFi - we are seeing some errors with a couple of devices. 

Both devices that are showing an issue are on the 2.4GHz connection; they may be too far away from the Hub for this frequency or they may benefit from either being moved closer or moved to the other frequency. 

Is the BQM you posted a live BQM or is this from last week? 

If it's not live, can you post another one for us? 

Cheers 

Katie - Forum Team