cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ps5 speeds have dropped drastically.

NickWba20
On our wavelength

I'm paying 45 pounds a month for broadband alone. My Ps5 is attatched to the router via a cat 6 cable a mere 2 meteres away. 4 days ago my broadband went down due to an issue in the area (that's what it said on the virgin app) I've just put warzone into download as a test to see how slow my Internet is going and its going up at a maximum of 30 per second at its highest nowhere near the 60 per second it should be going up in. Warzone takes 30 minutes for me  normally but now it's saying over an hour. It's been like this the last 4 days. I've had 4 days of this now and I'm getting sick of it. Virgin don't seem to care and are laid back on the phone. Attatched is a speed test from the Ps5. It's on a ethernet cat 6 I even set up an advanced network settings and put the Google public dns servers in but nothing fixes it. My speeds at time of writing are 129 download and only going up in 25 per second. 

9 REPLIES 9

NickWba20
On our wavelength

I'm paying 45 pounds a month for broadband alone. My Ps5 is attatched to the router via a cat 6 cable a mere 2 meteres away. 4 days ago my broadband went down due to an issue in the area (that's what it said on the virgin app) I've just put warzone into download as a test to see how slow my Internet is going and its going up at a maximum of 30 per second at its highest nowhere near the 60 per second it should be going up in. Warzone takes 30 minutes for me  normally but now it's saying over an hour. It's been like this the last 4 days. I've had 4 days of this now and I'm getting sick of it. Virgin don't seem to care and are laid back on the phone. Attatched is a speed test from the Ps5. It's on a ethernet cat 6 I even set up an advanced network settings and put the Google public dns servers in but nothing fixes it. 

IMG-20210831-WA0012.jpg

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi NickWba20,

have you tried restating the hub, or performed a pinhole reset?

Are there any local issues showing on the automated Service Status number  0800 561 0061 ? This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level.

What's your speed like when connected to a PC or laptop via cat 6 cable?

Have you tried switching your PS5 to NAT Type1 for now? ( Type 1 is more open than  Type 2, but also less secure, and most games are designed to run perfectly fine on 2)

You could also set up a BQM monitor  at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I've tried a few reboots over the last few days and I did the pinhole reset today and at first I thought it had sorted the issue until later this evening (which is when that picture was taken) 

If the PS5 speed test is like the PS4, don't expect it to be accurate. When I had a PS4, it would always report below our service speeds, even when I was getting full speed on other devices in the same location at the same time. I would use other speed checkers on different devices for this purpose. Even when your service is performing to its full speed, that doesn't guarantee the gaming service's infrastructure will deliver their content at your max speed.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

Never, Never, Never, did i say Never Go by Sonys PS4 / PS5 speed test.

I just did one on my PS5, says 434Mbps, yet when i do one on my PC i get 948Mbps.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

I should point out that I know the Ps5 speed test isn't reliable. When it comes to games machines it's much more important to judge it based on how quick the file is downloading. Last night my files were going up in 20s not the 60s I'm paying for yet this morning it was consistently downloading in 60s. No doubt it will be bad again later. Very weird 

Carried out some tests today and got mixed results before half 4 everything was great going up 50-67 mbps per second. From half 4 it dropped down to 40 mgbs - 65 per second then from 18:00 it's dropped as low as 30mbs per second on downloads. 

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi NickWba20,

Thanks for getting in touch, and a very warm welcome back to the Community Forum.

I've been able to locate your account using your Forum Details, and I can't see any clear issues showing on your account. All of your power levels look to be within specification, and I can't see any known issues or outages in your area.

Do you notice slow speeds on any other devices? Or is this specific to your PlayStation?

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

Z92
Trouble shooter

Carry out a speed test using a service such as https://www.speedtest.net/

The test on the PlayStation can vary wildly, depending on load on the PlayStation servers. Some days and evenings, particularly when a new game or DLC is released, the speed will reduce significantly due to the large amount of people accessing the service. Try and download during the day when less people are accessing the servers.