cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ps4 pro speed half of other devices

koukos
Tuning in

Hi there.

I got connected to 1gig fibre yesterday finally after been without internet since the 13th of Sept.

Only my pc with ethernet gets 970mbps download 51upload,

Same ethernet cable provided by virgin on ps4 pro gives me max 470mbps speed download and 8upload.

Any device on wifi doesnt get more than 520download 50 upload.

All devices tested while no other device was connected on router.

Can you help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The gigabit ports on a Hub 5 top out at about 950Mb, that's just how ethernet works.  It also has wifi 5, so that will max out around 550Mb.

VM do not sell the 1GB to "a single device", rather they supply just over 1GB to the Hub.  If you have two or more devices running concurrently, you will max out the 1GB connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Those speeds are exactly what you should expect of the Virgin 1gb speeds, looking good.

Try visiting fast.com on the ps4 to see what your true speed is rather than what the playstation network gives you

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Is it normal to get an upload speed of 8? 

Or not having more than 500download on a wireless connection? It doesn't sound right either is on the contract. I will have a better look and I will follow your advice. 

Kind regards

Christos Papadopoulos 

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hub 4 are only wireless 5 so that's the maximum it can go.

Playstation speeds test your speed to the playstation network not your real speed.

If you want faster WiFi speeds you'd need the hub5 and a wireless 6 device to test it on.

Virgin garuntee 20mb via WiFi

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/09/virgin-media-o2-claim-to-launch-uks-fastest-wifi-guara...

That makes more sense.

It doesn't make sense that i made i 1gig contract to be provided with a router that doesn't support my connection speed?

That is sounds more like a scam.

Can i get the upgraded hub so I can get 1gig on my wifi? Why i was not provided with one?

Can you help please?

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi koukos, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

I am very sorry to hear you are unhappy with the speeds being delivered since being connected. 

I am afraid there are many factors that can impact the speed being delivered to devices connected via WiFi so using an Ethernet cable whilst gaming would be recommend where possible. 

Your Hub is compatible with the 1GB service so we would recommend taking a look at our support guides here

Thanks, 

Nat

Thanks for coming back to me Natalie.

I am not a newbie, my line coming in the house, while installation, got a nail through, while connecting, your tech guy realised what he did and took it out. He didnt replace the cable either he cut it before puncture and place router there. What do you think I should do to resolve this? 

I am pretty sure that this has a lot to do with my speeds and pin. I am working on pcs and I am a gamer for the last 25 years of my life. From my experience when there is such lagging there is an issue.

On my previous address till 13th of Sept with the half speed provided by virginmedia 500mb fibre, I was getting with a 10m ethernet cable, better speeds and pin and less lag. 

The hub supports 1 gig only on ethernet. Thats a scam, thats how I see it. 

My pc its high end build in July and the c wifi is next to the hub, the wifi supports the 1 gig speed but doesnt get higher than 500. Thats a hub limitation isnt it? The same.time the ethernet gets 940 on pc the top wifi of pc doesnt get over 500? No other devices were connected while testing and have run tests in different hours as well.

Can you help.me.or point me in the right direction please? As sending me silly links with info for beginners doesnt help me.either.

Thank you.

Kind regards

Christos Papadopoulos 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The gigabit ports on a Hub 5 top out at about 950Mb, that's just how ethernet works.  It also has wifi 5, so that will max out around 550Mb.

VM do not sell the 1GB to "a single device", rather they supply just over 1GB to the Hub.  If you have two or more devices running concurrently, you will max out the 1GB connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I think i have been supplied a hub 4.

Screenshot_20221016-211842_Samsung Internet.jpg

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Adduxi wrote:

The gigabit ports on a Hub 5 top out at about 950Mb, that's just how ethernet works.  It also has wifi 5, so that will max out around 550Mb.  <snip>

EDIT -  Of course that should read the Hub 4!!

The Hub 5 has 3 1GB ports and 1 2.5GB port. Apologies for the error 🤔