Menu
KingDag19
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ps4 lag with terrible upload speed!

So had virgin installed last Thursday and everything fine but my ps4 connection is terrible with a 90/100mbs Download but a very disappointing 200/250kps Upload??!

I have my ps4 hard wired, static ip setup, Dmz setup and also got it Port Forwarded as told by Virgin Gadget team (Who also tried to sell me a £30 subscription which I thought was a joke!!!). But still having these terrible upload speeds??

Priorier to having Virgin installed I was with Sky and there where no issues with speed connections so can rule out issues with ps4. Apart from crappy server issues with Sky and EA but that's another story!

Any help would be grateful as still in 14day period and will cancel if not resolved?!

Many thanks                                                   

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Superfast
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ps4 lag with terrible upload speed!

I'd recommend testing your speed on another device, preferably a hard wired desktop or laptop, just the PS4 speed test is incredibly inaccurate and not to be trusted.

Are you having any symptoms of a poor connection in online games on the PS4 or is it solely the speed test?
0 Kudos
KingDag19
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have run a test on my mobile device and roughly gives me the same Download speeds 90/100mbs and Uploads are always around 6/7mbs. 

I mainly play fifa and I know the gameplay can be hit and miss with the ea servers but nothing like it is now its a joke how bad it is! Before the installation when I was with sky it was manageable to play but not now. Even in the ps4 menus it's laggy not just in game. 

DreamOfCheese
Superfast
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I believe 6/7mbps is what you get on the 100mbps package so your connection is certainly getting the speed it should (assuming you're on the 100mbps package).

Not sure why the PS4 would be the only thing affected by this, it may seem backwards but have you tried connecting the PS4 to the Hub via the wifi and seeing if the slow upload speed is also apparent then?
0 Kudos
KingDag19
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Yeah tried that as well and exactly the same speeds. I would of thought being hardwired it would be fine?? I know it's baffling me to what it could be down to??

I've tried different ports on the router, changed the DNS as still no joy. 

0 Kudos
OMG-the-Lag
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have just got the vivid 350 package and am having problems with my connection and have not spent more than an hour Playing games on my ps4. The connection is also via lan and it is unplayable. 

I too was with sky and I am now regretting switching to virgin as I realise I was Much better off having a slow and stable connection than having a (intermittently) super fast connection that is really unstable. 

I will also be cancelling and returning to sky if this is not resolved by the 21st January (apparently it is a known fault in my area, although the service check tool does not recognise it?).

Good luck getting it sorted. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@KingDag19 wrote:

Yeah tried that as well and exactly the same speeds. I would of thought being hardwired it would be fine?? I know it's baffling me to what it could be down to??

I've tried different ports on the router, changed the DNS as still no joy. 

Hardwired is best. Have you tried modem mode?  This only allows one hardwired device to be connected, so I'm suggesting this just as a test to see if the router functions of the VM hub are in anyway hampering the PS4.

I use modem mode and a third party router and don't need to setup any port forwarding or DNS changes to use my PS4 and get reasonable speeds.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
KingDag19
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

OK I'll give it a go and see if it is the VM Hub causing issues??

Just a quick question tho.. Once I put the hub in modem mode does the IP Address change to Log back in to change it back off modem mode?

Many thanks 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the help article I linked to previously explains which IP address to use to access the hub in each mode.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
KingDag19
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

So I have put my router into modem mode and now on the ps4 I have a Nat Type 1 connection with over 100mbs download and still 230kps upload!!

Could it be my ps4?? It is the old ps4 which I had for over 7/8yrs. When I was connected to sky it was fine 6mbs upload all the time. I know you can't take its test all to accurate on the ps4 but it's all ways fluctuating between 200kps - 250kps never reaching 1mb.

0 Kudos