Menu
j0s800
On our wavelength
Message 31 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Re: Prospective Virgin Media customers BEWARE

What's such a **bleep** take about looking at your BQM's guys is that when it actually works, virgin's internet connection is wonderful and silky smooth. I know it's not the engineers because they come over and often they do try their best ( When they bother showing up anyway because I've heard horror stories ) to check things over on their end but the rest of the company seems to be a joke.

If virgin media would stop writing off everybody that complains and actually do something I might like them as a company, it seems really the only option is to just ditch them.

0 Kudos
Blairian7
On our wavelength
Message 32 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Yeah that’s the problem. My connection is good I that it doesn’t drop. The problem lies in the stability of the connection. I connect to a games server like lol or swtor (yes I still play) and it’s decent. 30-40ms average, BUT with spikes of 140-200ms every 10-15 seconds and then the 50-80 laced I. For good messure. Now when you call support they do nothing because they can do nothing. The issues are based here in the UK. Virgins customer service is notoriously bad but the engineers are ok but even that cannot fix these problems because it’s routing issues. Yes the HUB is a big problem but certain hops always lag, badly.

When virgin finally fix that I might return but I gave them 7 years and they did nothing. BT on the other hand have improved their coverage and their service. *edit*
0 Kudos
acheronte
On our wavelength
Message 33 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Couldn't agree more! I hope you keep the broadband graphs uploaded so others can have evidence. It's not there isn't on the web but this is the official forum so no excuses can be made.

Also the statement "speed means nothing without stability" is aptly worded, wish someone could tell the guys making decisions at VM. Anyway, I'm in the process of cancelling my contract to go back to Sky.

0 Kudos
Blairian7
On our wavelength
Message 34 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Connection with BT never happened. They couldn’t get their act together and stolen the phone line on my property even though I called in 18 times to tell them that I was happy to pay the money to do so.  Finally terminate my contract with them was told I would have to pay £500. I am politely declined forcefully, with a capital F. I was then told they would close the account as it was “littered with complaints“

I left BT 15 years ago due to poor coverage problems, I’ve got two Mb of a 20mb bit connection and  was without service for two weeks with nothing more than those two weeks being free. Handsdown the worst customer service experience I have ever had my life. BT really are bloody terrible. 

One bit of advice for people having severe latency issues is to take the Rueter out of modem mode and place it back into Rueter mode, turn off the Wi-Fi and use a third-party Rueter to manage your Wi-Fi. My latency issues have not disappeared by any stretch of the imagination but I get a 100 ms sponge every 30 hops instead of every five. Still have minor packet loss. 

What was particularly funny was contacting the customer service agent with virgin to explain the problems I was having with the Rueter and being told that my Rueter wasn’t in mode mode when it was. I even went into the settings to confirm that there was saying modem mode Wi-Fi off and she was absolutely adamant that Wi-Fi was on and it was in Wrotham Road. Never had such a terrible experience with a customer service agent being as arrogant as they were to tell me that what I was looking at wasn’t in fact real.

On the bright side, there is going to be a new superhub for Gb  connections coming early to late 2018. Maybe some hope on horizon but we will see....

0 Kudos
Blairian7
On our wavelength
Message 35 of 40
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Boygroucho
On our wavelength
Message 36 of 40
Flag for a moderator

GamerDan2017"

" But when entering addresses around me in the [BT fibre] checker it comes back as being available to them all apart from me."

I'm in a similarish situation.  Most everyone on my street is with Virgin Media yet they show on the BT fibre checker as having BT Fibre broadband available, but my address isn't in the list and I can only get ADSL according to the generic postcode checker.

So I rang my local Borough Council and they gave me my UPRN:

"A Unique Property Reference Number (UPRN) is a unique alphanumeric identifier for every spatial address in Great Britain and can be found in OS's Address products. It provides a comprehensive, complete, consistent identifier throughout a property's life cycle – from planning permission through to demolition."

If I enter my UPRN here:  http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If then shows that BT Fibre is available to me as well.

The problem is that all the ISPs that use Openreach, work from the standard online BT fibre checker, so signing up to them online doesn't work.

I rang BT and spoke to someone who took on my problem (they needed by UPRN) and she emailed Openreach (cc to me) to resolve the address discrepancy and that is ongoing.

So I would suggest finding out your UPRN and ring BT with it and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
Boygroucho
On our wavelength
Message 37 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Update to my post above.

My address has now been added by Openreach to the Fibre checker and I can now order FTTC broadband to my house if I want.

10 working days from request to fulfilment is surprisingly efficient.

0 Kudos
Rhian1991
Tuning in
Message 38 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Unbelieveable i just rang virgin to cancel as bt fibre can fit in my house on the 2nd may so happy as gaming or even watching sky on sky q miniboxes is a hard task in itself as the superhub 3.0 keeps dropping connection and also the range is terrible so got through  to a lady told her my issues and wish to cancel as ive uad service 3 weeks she told me i was out of my 14 day period so cannot help me i stated the problems and that she couldnt resolve them as its a hatdware issue the chipset in hub and she became rather excuse my french ratjer arseyyy and told me actually you pay for the hardline connection that comes to your home and that the wifi signal it gives is free so nothing she could do and id have to pay early termination fee!!! So i was livid and explained that is never heard something soo stupid in all my life and she then said that nothing wrong with superhub as she had 2 young boys who played fifa regurlarly and they never had any issues so either they are crap at fifa lol or im a liar hmmm certainly not 1 of them so explained that i wanted a deadlock letter and id go that route but she has some broadband guru who she insisted on the phone if steve cant fix ot no one can and so i have to wait for phonecall and when he cant resolve issue then he has the power to authorise my early disconnection without prejudice and charge!!! I tried to explain that its not my chosen subject to soend my time waiting for router to connect then find its lost connection again etc etc and also that i didnt wish to phone people wasting my freetime so roll on monday and this broadband guru lol has anyone heard of you pay for the hardline connection and the wifi signal is free so its not virgins fault that my devices dont connect and so i cant complain and cant disconnect early!!! 

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 39 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Every day someone should post on this, to keep it on page 1 for all time.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
Rhian1991
Tuning in
Message 40 of 40
Flag for a moderator

I agree yeaterday the woman rang me back basiccly saying i must be lying and that they would send me a super hub 2 but i said no after all that youve put me through and also not having more than 3mb internet speed all weekeni declined and informed her im off to bt which is when she was funny and sai ok ill start your 30 day early termination and i said woooaahhh no chance i want a deadlock letter and before i could finish she said oh yea i can see youve only been with us 3 n half weeks so i can let you go and she instantly shut the net off yesterday so wasnt happy as id actually thought id paid 1 minth so i should probably demand that back but in the end thought i wont have to deal with these people again and hence today bt engineer came installed and not i have download speeds on infinity of 55 mbps upload of 9mbps and guess what played fiifa and perfect playing no latency issues just playing as it should at full speed and reaponsiveness its unbelieveable i just cannot believe virgin have ripped ao many people off with this device and also the bt hub its signal is as strong as my former sky q fibre hun and reaches every room in the house whereas the virgin 1 wouldnt reach any room upstairs i still cannot believe how many people are duped into this terrible company and terrible support and terrible hardware it should be theft as its costing people money each month for a service that isnt what it states it should be and also lol the woman was being narky with me and said youre actually paying for the hardire connection into the house and the wifi signal then thats sent from the router around the house is free so they wernt accountable pmsl but anyway im free form these thieves and im not saying companies are perfect but i can honestly say hand on heart BT and also SKY the broadband services they provide and hardware are absolutly 1st class and do everything they claim to do so people as fast as you can get out of the contracts with these people and dont be bullied by your in contract talk cos ask for deadlock letter as service isnt being provided and then leave and never look back and youll be amazed how you ever put up with it!! Woohooo 1 happy free happy happy customer thank you BT and SKY

0 Kudos