Menu
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 21 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Re: Prospective Virgin Media customers BEWARE

As far as I know yes.  The HG612 is a modem, pure and simple.  It can be unlocked and used as a router, but not recommended. However when unlocked you have access to the Web GUI and can get all the stats and troubleshooting information about the line quality.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 22 of 40
Flag for a moderator

gary_dexter wrote:
<snip>

You don't need to put the BT Smart Hub into Modem Mode - just disable WiFi broadcasting, DHCP and a few other bits and then attach another router to it to act as an AP.

Or get a router with a built in VDSL Modem...

I don't think the Smart Hub (HH6) has the GUI fully "unlocked" as much as say an ASUS Router with Merlin Firmware etc.

Yes, the Draytek 2860 has a built in ADSL and VDSL Modem, and can be used for Dual WAN alongside VM cable.

0 Kudos
GamerDan2017
Tuning in
Message 23 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Jon22 wrote:

@GamerDan2017, I'd be double checking that you are able to get FTTC/VDSL. BT, Sky, Plusnet "Fibre" etc. all use the Openreach equipment (the FTTC cabinets that are next to the PCP your Openreach phone line connects to). Would be unusual for BT to say no you can't get it and Sky to say yes you can.

Probably best to use this checker: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

So i used that checker but it is finding every address in my street but mine! So i manually put my address in but it came back with little to no options using Address Checker. I could not use the Phone Checker as i'm on VM Phone which is cable and no Open Reach line is active. Any other address in my street is bringing up VDSL with the values between 80-50, but for me there is no VDSL at all just some 5.5-12mb standard thing...

A relative believes this could be because the checker can't check because i have a Virgin cable phone and not an Open reach BT line? Could this be why nothing is showing? Why when i called BT they said it was not available? How would i go about getting the line i need activated, call BT back and explain it to them? Hope this makes sense! Thanks!

0 Kudos
GamerDan2017
Tuning in
Message 24 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Got back in touch with BT again yesterday, they are saying there is no way anyone in my street has Unlimited Infinity 2 yet as the cabinet does not support it and the slots are full. But when entering addresses around me in the checker it comes back as being available to them all apart from me. The highest they can offer right now is upto 12mb down standard broadband. They also said they don't see how SKY can say their Sky Fibre Max is available too me when they can't give me their Infinity which is what we have all been confused by. Looks like i'm stuck with VM as i think SKY are lying! Back to the laggy games. Thanks for the replies!

0 Kudos
cje85
Super solver
Message 25 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Andruser wrote:

So why invest in working hardware?  Why invest in UK based customer contact and support?  Why invest in fixing the over-subscribed spots?  There's some token network extension to increase the UK footprint, and some minor upgrades to keep Ofgem from intervening where VM aren't delivering their contracted speeds. 

The expansion will extend coverage to 4 million homes by 2020, with a lot of them using FTTP, so it's a bit more than a token gesture. 

Ofgem don't intervene because they're the gas and electricity regulator. 

Andruser
Well-informed
Message 26 of 40
Flag for a moderator

"The expansion will extend coverage to 4 million homes by 2020, with a lot of them using FTTP, so it's a bit more than a token gesture. "

Yes, that's "homes passed".  But what counts is both homes passed, and how many sign up.  In case you missed it:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/08/virgin_media_results/

and

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/29/virgin_suspends_four_staff_over_misreporting_its_superfast_...

0 Kudos
Blairian7
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 40
Flag for a moderator

"However, it is more important symbolically as it suggests some inadequate controls on what is a major capex project for the company. In addition, the reduction in quoted penetration rates begs the question as to whether other Virgin Media KPIs have been calculated in a way that presents the company in a better light." ®

So how about this,
“We are the fastest home broadband provider with the worst line stability of any provider.”

“Our Home Hub 3 provides the fastest wireless connection of any ISP, when it works or isn’t dropping out during peak times.”
0 Kudos
tommey
Well-informed
Message 28 of 40
Flag for a moderator

@Blairian7

Thanks for using my BT BQM as an example you should have mentioned who's graph it actually was though Smiley Indifferent I have since changed IP address and had to start a new graph but you can see below what a HUGE difference gaming with BT INFINITY would offer when compared to VIRGIN MEDIA and the SUPERHUB 3 

This is the poor quality of my Superhub 3 connection Smiley Sad
My Broadband Ping - Vivid 200 Gamer

- AREA 04 First reported 09/2014 - Fault ticket raised 01/01/15 -    - Review 01/05/15 - Review 12/08/15 - Review 14/10/15 - Review 04/11/15 - Review 15/04/16 - Review 06/07/16 - Review 31/09/16 - Review 30/11/16 - Review 15/02/17 - Review 12/07/17 - Review 20/09/17 - Review 14/06/17 - Review 10/01/18 - Review 25/04/18 - Review 08/08/18 - F004670584 << 3 YEARS+ 

But with BT Fibre I can actually game without lag Smiley Very Happy
My Broadband Ping - BT FIBRE 80/20

0 Kudos
Blairian7
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 40
Flag for a moderator

@tommey

My apologies. I meant it to be used as an encouragement to others having the degree of problems we are. I will edit the OP to reflect its your graph that looks good. As a side note, your graph is what made me decide to go with BT. I still cannot believe how bad the latency is. I am going to complain to the regulator. Cannot wait for the instal date. Jus hoe the degradation of signal isn’t 50% as is with me powerline set up atm.

Edit: For some reason I cannot edit the OP to indicate the graph used as a good example belongs to Tommey. Sorry
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 30 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Another BT Infinity 2 TBB for comparison.  Fortunately for work purposes I have a Dual WAN with both VM and BT.

25cf8671017244ad4af3257a400fcdda8876c31b-26-05-2017BT Infinity 2