Menu
Tomo72
Superfast
Message 11 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Re: Prospective Virgin Media customers BEWARE

I may be wrong but I thought Sky used BT's infrastructure so if Sky is available then so should BT.
Happy to be corrected.
Jon22
Dialled in
Message 12 of 40
Flag for a moderator

@GamerDan2017, I'd be double checking that you are able to get FTTC/VDSL. BT, Sky, Plusnet "Fibre" etc. all use the Openreach equipment (the FTTC cabinets that are next to the PCP your Openreach phone line connects to). Would be unusual for BT to say no you can't get it and Sky to say yes you can.

Probably best to use this checker: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

0 Kudos
GamerDan2017
Tuning in
Message 13 of 40
Flag for a moderator

That is what i thought! But who am i to tell the chap who works for them he is wrong! So i don't know... I rang SKY and they said their Fibre Max at 76mb Dl was available to my address but BT said their Unlimited Infinity 2 is not, atleast for now until they install the cables for it in my area which would be "soon" but that soon will not be next month when my contract ends with VM. Not sure if i should stick it out or just go with SKY for 18 months and see what happens...

0 Kudos
Jon22
Dialled in
Message 14 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Sky do use the Openreach equipment (the FTTC cabinet), although I think they usually have a presence in the exchange to handover to their backhaul?

Either way, if it's available for Sky, it should be available to BT. Probably be worth using this checker: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/, to make sure FTTC/VDSL is available.
0 Kudos
Tomo72
Superfast
Message 15 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Either way "soon" will probably be sooner than the Hub3 being fixed/Hub4 being released.

0 Kudos
Blairian7
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 40
Flag for a moderator

It's been 2 years.... they aren't fixing the Hub 3 and Hub 4 is not on the horizon. Like a previous post said, and I was thinking the same thing, virgin are looking to be bought out.
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 17 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Blairian7 wrote:
From my understanding, the BT hub cannot be placed in modem mode. Therefore a modem is required. I have read several guides on this but I guess I need to read up on the HH5. As I said previously it means I can avoid ALL isp hardware because it's all usually crap.

Correct, the only method is the Openreach Modem, HG612.  You can connect this to any Router of your choice.  It's a very good unit but a bit prone to overheating.   You could also use something like the Draytek 2860 and keep both your VM and BT circuits until you decide which to drop.  As an aside you will get IPv6 addresses with BT depending on your Router.  The aforementioned Draytek does IPv6 and of course, IPv4.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Well-informed
Message 18 of 40
Flag for a moderator

"I may be wrong but I thought Sky used BT's infrastructure so if Sky is available then so should BT."

I don't think it is that simple - it depends whether there's fibre to the cabinet nearest your house, AND whether the exchange has the necessary hardware to support it.  I think that whilst Openreach have to offer use of their equipment to other companies, they can use their own in conjunction with the Openreach cables.  So possibly Sky could be able to offer a higher speed than BT using the same wires - and then again, they could just be selling promises they can't keep, a bit like Virginmedia selling "ultrafast broadband for gaming".

Your best way of finding out what's on offer is probably to ask all your neighbours what they're getting.

0 Kudos
Blairian7
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 40
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 20 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Actually the BT Smart Hub is one of the better (if not best) ISP provided bits of kit - the Sky Q router is rubbish though.

You don't need to put the BT Smart Hub into Modem Mode - just disable WiFi broadcasting, DHCP and a few other bits and then attach another router to it to act as an AP.

Or get a router with a built in VDSL Modem...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos