Menu
Highlighted
Blairian7
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Prospective Virgin Media customers BEWARE

I have been a VM customer for years. When my brother in law switched to BT I thought he was crazy because I didn't understand broadband and latency and ping. Here we are 6 years later and I finally understand. Speed means nothing without stability.

This is my VM 200 service. Gaming and streaming and video calls over the wifi are TERRIBLE. Even wired I get serous problems with stutter. The yellow part of the graph is bad. The red parts are REALLY bad. 

My Virgin 200 07-01-2018.png

This is what the above graph should look like. 

Healthy  Broadband.png

There is some ping here but likely from downloads of music or video. That is to be expected in my experience.

Once my BT line is up I will upload a comparison of my line. Now it should be noted that the latency issues are related to the VM Super Hub's Intel Puma 6 chip set. Its trash and drops out when under heavy load so you get packet loss and high ping. Read here. Its been 2 years and virgin have done nothing and continue to push out a faulty HUB to customers. PLEASE NOTE: Running the hub in modem mode does NOT fix the issue. So since VM are selling a product they know is faulty I highly recommend you don't subscribe. They are the only fibre provider that is widely available in the UK and this is the service they provide. There are not any VM Super Hub 2's available except via Ebay and these do not guarantee a fix either. 

So now I am moving to BT on the 26 January 2018 and I will give an update once this service is up and running. I will be going from 200mb DL to 44 - 71mb but stability is what you need with gaming. Better to wait 20 minutes for a game update and have stable gaming than be able to DL games and updates in 5 minutes but forever be stuck with jitter, high latency and skipped frames and packet loss.

So, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY VIRGIN MEDIA UNTIL SUPER HUB 4 IS AVAILABLE AND PROVEN TO BE STABLE. If you do and you depend on a stable connection, you WILL be disappointed. Yes I used caps, and now I am not sorry. I hope you got the point. 

GamerDan2017
Tuning in
Message 2 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Re: Prospective Virgin Media customers BEWARE

I could not have put that better! That is exactly how it is! I am on the Vivid 200 "Gamer" which lets face it is not for gamers at all! Like you said the latency/ping/jitter issues just make it impossible, i am teleporting/lagging all over in every game! It is a joke!

The renewel comes up next month but like you i am going! Just not decided yet if i should go with SKY Fibre Max 76Dl 19Ul or with BT as they seem a pretty popular choice with people switching... How did you decide which ISP to switch too? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Blairian7
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 40
Flag for a moderator

I chose BT over Sky because like VM the Sky router is not optional at all. You have to use it. BT's hub can be replaced with your own hardware. I am buying an OPENREACH VDSL modem to manage my incoming BT service and I will use my Nighthawk R8000 as the router. What I have also read is the OPENREACH VDSL modems can help with noisy lines and reduce issues even further. These modems are £14 on eBay or £30 new. I went for a new one. Also they are plug and play a its BT. Will let you know how easy they are to set up once I am done.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Why are you buying an OR Modem (which works with any FTTC as it's provided by OR not BT) when you can just use the BT Hub with the Nighthawk R8000?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 40
Flag for a moderator

GamerDan2017 wrote:

I could not have put that better! That is exactly how it is! I am on the Vivid 200 "Gamer" which lets face it is not for gamers at all! Like you said the latency/ping/jitter issues just make it impossible, i am teleporting/lagging all over in every game! It is a joke!

The renewel comes up next month but like you i am going! Just not decided yet if i should go with SKY Fibre Max 76Dl 19Ul or with BT as they seem a pretty popular choice with people switching... How did you decide which ISP to switch too? Thanks!

Don't use Sky.

I had BT before getting 80/20, after I switched to Sky it dropped to 55/18 and Sky told me that was the maximum my line could take, this was even after the 10 day "settling" period

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Blairian7
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 40
Flag for a moderator

From my understanding, the BT hub cannot be placed in modem mode. Therefore a modem is required. I have read several guides on this but I guess I need to read up on the HH5. As I said previously it means I can avoid ALL isp hardware because it's all usually crap.
0 Kudos
GamerDan2017
Tuning in
Message 7 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Which BT package are you going with? I might go with the same one as gaming with low latency/ping and stability! Like yourself is all i want! And are you going about the switch? Do you get BT installed and then cancel with VM or do you call VM first? I guess wait right so you have some form of internet?

0 Kudos
Blairian7
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 40
Flag for a moderator

So I went BT Infinity 2. I am having the installation on the 26th. Yes, WAIT till BT is installed and up and running and then call virgin and cancel.

It's 1 month paying double for an unbroken service and the chance to see if you have any other issues. I will line test Virgin and BT side by side just to prove a point but as Poole have said, virgin does not care about stability. They sell the same excuses every time you call. You are connected and getting high DL speeds after all so..... what's your problem.

It's a lack of customer care and pride in their service. They are the ONLY fibre broadband available so there is no competition. Once that changes they are in a for a BIG shock.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Well-informed
Message 9 of 40
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

"Once that changes they are in a for a BIG shock."

I think that they are running the UK Virginmedia business as what is known in business as a "cash cow".  They know full well that their hardware (the disgraceful Hub 3) is flawed and unreliable.  They know that in some locations their network is over-subscribed.  And they know they've been taking the mickey with several years of near double digit price rises.  And they don't care, because they also know that as soon as Openreach roll out G.fast or any alternative high speed technology to consumers, then Virginmedia's business is toast. 

So why invest in working hardware?  Why invest in UK based customer contact and support?  Why invest in fixing the over-subscribed spots?  There's some token network extension to increase the UK footprint, and some minor upgrades to keep Ofgem from intervening where VM aren't delivering their contracted speeds.  As far as I can see (as an experienced corporate strategist) the Virginmedia business is clearly being run to generate the maximum cash revenue, whilst customer satisfaction and long term issues are being ignored.  I therefore suspect the real plan of VM's parent company (Liberty Global) to sell their European cable businesses to the first mug that comes along.  Vodafone have been sniffing around the Virginmedia assets for some considerable while, and as a company they are certainly mugs when it comes to mergers and acquisitions - I reckon Liberty Global are wafting the cash generation figures at Vodafone's management, telling them "Look at all this money, you need it.  You need a broadband distribution channel to build a media sales business like BT.  You could use the cable network for 4G and 5G backhaul".

Given that Vodafone customer service is crap, their mobile proposition poor value, and their management out of touch, we shouldn't expect anything to change for the better should this Vodafone/Virginmedia tie up happen.  But because Liberty Global will certainly extract a big fat price from Vodafone, Vodafone will need to put prices up even more than the eye-watering VM increases of recent years.  Typically, an "acquisition premium" is about 25-30% more than a company is worth before the deal - that then needs to be recovered from the customers.  Vodafone will delude themselves that they will be able to cross-sell better than Virginmedia, that they will be more efficient, that there are lots of costs they can cut - but when they find out that neither of those apply, they need to try and increase prices (which is broadly speaking what happened when Liberty Global bought Virginmedia in the first place).

GamerDan2017
Tuning in
Message 10 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Ah damn! So i called BT and they can only offer me the upto 12mb package as the cables for Infinity 2 are not yet available in my area, something about switching from old copper cables? But it will be ready soon.. But that will probably be months from now right? However SKY say their Fibre Max 76mb package is available so question is.. Should i put up with Virgin for another 12 months and hope BT install their cables come the end of it or should i jump to SKY on an 18 month contract, hope it's better and then see if BT is available! This whole internet thing now is stupid hahaha! SKY are calling me back in the morning. Sky has to be more stable and low latency right! How can anything be as bad as VM!

0 Kudos