cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem after problem, this is easily the worst ISP i ever have used

danbottomburp
On our wavelength

Where to start?

On steam i am not getting anywhere close to my download speed (1GB) i get a quarter if i am lucky, not just on steam either its the same on EA and using the RIot client

Been looking at my BQM and it hasn't been exactly stable over the last three/four days that might be something to do with it

In FPS games i am a sitting duck, shooting at people who i should be killing only to be laughed at and killed myself instead

I am the highest rank possible in CsGo but i haven't played it at all since getting Virgin connection, simply do NOT trust it

Done some speed tests using various providers including Real Speed which tells me the Jitter and packet loss is there

Every single dungeon i do in ESO online completes and then i am immediately kicked formt he server and have to log in again, this happens every single time

I have reset the router recently, its definitely not my PC 

I would much rather have a stable, good quality connection than one that can sometimes hit over 1GB a second

My previous provider might have only been giving me 40Mbps but they were on another level in terms of connection quality

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ac34fd4c9281748e838a5f353a78c05971b11487

38 REPLIES 38

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Your BQM shows an excellent connection between your hub and the Thinkbroadband test servers, and indicates there's nothing wrong locally (check that the IP address of your connection is the same as the BQM). 

In terms of the problems you report, if that's the correct IP address, then it has to be either your equipment (which you say it isn't), or something like internet traffic routing problems.  These do sometimes crop up, and sometimes they're within VM's control, sometimes they're not, but getting traffic routing questions answered quickly and knowledgeably by VM is about as easy as launching a mission to Mars from your own back garden, or getting an honest and succinct answer out of the prime minister.

Pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts, but be aware that if the BQM is truthful I'll be surprised to see anything.

Are you in your 14 day cooling off period?  If you are, consider your options carefully.  If you're not then you're probably locked in for 18 months or facing onerous early termination charges, and the BQM doesn't evidence any problems that you could use to argue for release from contract without penalty. 

Excellent connetion? is this April fools joke?

Here is a few days ago 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8fdfccb6236794ae1f96d8263ee6317af30f5b21-29-03-2022

And here is a few days before that

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/5feb22f4924d4b3714c007c38988d1f7cc7d79e6-26-03-2022

I can assure you this is anything but an "excellent connection" 

I will get the hub stats posted asap

Hi @danbottomburp,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am really sorry to hear you're having some connection issues lately. I've checked the live BQM that you shared, and though I appreciate the ones you captured from a few days prior display some problems, I can't see anything currently being reported on the live one that would be a notable cause for concern.

I've also checked the systems on our end and I can't see any faults being detected there currently. Is this issue ongoing for you today? If so, are any other devices being affected at all, or does this only seem to affect your connection when you're gaming?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

As Andrew-G said above, the live link you posted in #1 currently shows an excellent connection.   The two other links show some contention at peak times, but such problems are not uncommon and I doubt if you will get much positive help from VM.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

If that is what the graph shows then it is wrong, as simple as that, i am the one living with this connection and am best placed to say if its "excellent" or not, it most definitely is NOT

I wish people would not tell me otherwise, its like being outside in the rain and someone telling me i am not getting wet, this connection is atrocious, FPS gaming is pointless now, i am having to consider getting another connection from a different provider because its that bad

Want to swap with my connection?

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @danbottomburp

I'm sorry to hear of the impact this is causing when you play FPS and ESO 😞 That is not ideal at all. Just to clarify - is your PC connected via wired connection when gaming? 

I have ran some further diagnostics and there is a Capacity issue affecting your WiFi. WiFi Capacity issues can be caused by interference from electrical devices and impact multiple devices by reducing the quality of your WiFi. Is your Hub located at least 1 metre away from any other electrical devices?

Kind regards,

Serena

Yes it is a wired connection, i do use Wi-Fi or rather try to use Wi-Fi and when it works it works well

And no it is not located one metre from other electrical devices because the white cable going into it isn't even one metre itself 

Anyway its a wired connection into my PC 

Why does virgin media share your connection with others?