cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding for multiple devices

seaskimmer
Tuning in

I need to open ports on the router for at least 3 devices can this be done?
When I try it only lets me enter one local I.P

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

That’s that’s right, you can’t forward the same port number to more than one device. What port forwarding means is that if traffic on a particular port (say you are running a web server, that’ll be port 80), arrives at the hub, then it gets redirected to the device on your network with that particular unique address which can handle it - ie a web server.

The traffic can’t be forwarded to more than one device.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

jem101
Superstar

That’s that’s right, you can’t forward the same port number to more than one device. What port forwarding means is that if traffic on a particular port (say you are running a web server, that’ll be port 80), arrives at the hub, then it gets redirected to the device on your network with that particular unique address which can handle it - ie a web server.

The traffic can’t be forwarded to more than one device.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

One of NAT's limitations and one WAN IP mainly because the TCP protocol was done before NAT had it been done after it might have been possible.

Some high end routers have a limited way around this by having NAT rule to a port from a given source IP to LAN IP to which another NAT rule to the same port from another source IP to other LAN IP.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi seaskimmer, thanks for the message. 

You would not be able to port forward to more than one device and thank jem101 and legacy1  for assisting

Kind regards, Chris