cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playstation Network: Unable to sign in (406 - "not acceptable" response)

davetansley
Tuning in

Hi,

In the last 24 hours, I've noticed something really weird on my Virgin connection.

I'm suddenly unable to log in to the Playstation Network - whether from laptop, mobile or Playstation.

Here's what I've determined:

1) If I attempt to log into PSN on the web, I get a "406 - not acceptable" response. On other devices, the error is a little more obscure, but probably the same thing.

2) I don't even get to the point of entering my username, it literally throws the error on the sign in page. So it's not an account or password thing.

3) If I disconnect from wifi and tether to my mobile data, the sign in page and login works fine.

4) If I fire up a VPN while on wifi, the sign in page and login works fine.

5) I've tried removing all devices from the network and plugging directly into the router - same problem.

6) I've tried recycling the router. Same problem.

Has anyone seen the likes of this before? Or could Virgin offer any assistance? It seems like a networking problem outside of my house, but I've run out of things to check.

My Demon's Souls game is suffering without being online 🙂

Dave

13 REPLIES 13

Hi Zak,

Thanks for the reply. I've checked out both links regarding the IP address and they're both clean

Hi Sca,

It's giving me an error, basically a blank white page with 'not acceptable' in the top left corner. I could log in using mobile hotspot. It's gotta be an issue on Sony's side, can they even fix this issue? I just want to chill out and game through the pandemic ._.

Thanks for the help lads!

lamzer
Joining in

Hi fellas, 

After a week of troubleshooting. The problem is still occurring. I've contacted PSN and mentioned about my IP being possibly blacklisted but they said they can't do anything about it and told me to get in touch with my ISP. I contacted VM through WhatsApp and a rep made few changes to my modem but still no hope. I purchased a router Netgear R7800 Nighthawk, set the VM modem into modem mode and it worked for a day then back to the original issue. I was thinking of requesting a new VM modem, would that give me a new set of dynamic IP addresses that could potentially fix the problem? 

I've linked below a chat between a customer giving loads to a PSN rep about the same issue i'm having. ( just read the PSN rep cause the customer is being inconsiderate haha)

https://www.facebook.com/ps4gamessl/posts/so-sony-blocked-my-ip-and-my-ps4-is-a-brickana-hello-my-na...

Thanks!

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@lamzer wrote:

Hi fellas, 

After a week of troubleshooting. The problem is still occurring. I've contacted PSN and mentioned about my IP being possibly blacklisted but they said they can't do anything about it and told me to get in touch with my ISP. I contacted VM through WhatsApp and a rep made few changes to my modem but still no hope. I purchased a router Netgear R7800 Nighthawk, set the VM modem into modem mode and it worked for a day then back to the original issue. I was thinking of requesting a new VM modem, would that give me a new set of dynamic IP addresses that could potentially fix the problem? 

That is the standard boilerplate response from PSN first line staff, they should have a way of escalating it to someone who can do something, or at least explain why the ban is in place.

When you switched to modem mode and used the Nighthawk then you would have been assigned a new IP address.  If the issue only went away for a day, then that suggest something on your local network is triggering the IP ban at Sony's end.  I'd suggest scanning all device for malware or viruses, as that is the most common trigger.  Do you have a Plex server running on your LAN?  I have seen that trigger a ban in the past, although the Akamai checker usually flags that.  If you can't find malware then you need to go back to Sony and as they are the ones blocking you not VM and despite what their staff may say, only Sony can lift the ban.

VM should only issue new hubs if you have a faulty one, which is not the case here.  Even if they were to issue one, you would almost certainly get the same result as you got with the Nighthawk, works for a day then another ban.  Until you find the trigger for the ban you are just kicking the can down the road by changing IP addresses.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks