cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playstation Network: Unable to sign in (406 - "not acceptable" response)

davetansley
Tuning in

Hi,

In the last 24 hours, I've noticed something really weird on my Virgin connection.

I'm suddenly unable to log in to the Playstation Network - whether from laptop, mobile or Playstation.

Here's what I've determined:

1) If I attempt to log into PSN on the web, I get a "406 - not acceptable" response. On other devices, the error is a little more obscure, but probably the same thing.

2) I don't even get to the point of entering my username, it literally throws the error on the sign in page. So it's not an account or password thing.

3) If I disconnect from wifi and tether to my mobile data, the sign in page and login works fine.

4) If I fire up a VPN while on wifi, the sign in page and login works fine.

5) I've tried removing all devices from the network and plugging directly into the router - same problem.

6) I've tried recycling the router. Same problem.

Has anyone seen the likes of this before? Or could Virgin offer any assistance? It seems like a networking problem outside of my house, but I've run out of things to check.

My Demon's Souls game is suffering without being online 🙂

Dave

13 REPLIES 13

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

There is a system that PSN uses to check how secure your network is can you check at https://www.akamai.com/us/en/clientrep-lookup/ if you have a bad reputation then I am afraid you will need to contact PSN as there us nothing that VM can do to fix that.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

Luckily, it doesn't seem to be that.

Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 12.50.54.jpg

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Thats good looking at the error that webpage 406 is actually coming from the PSN network so I would still be contacting them for Troubleshooting.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

kevin_1111111
Just joined

How recent is this?  I just had this yesterday, Dec. 2. 2020

I have exact problem.  My Psn connection fails on Ps4.  I signed out, now Psn connection doesnt show up on the internet connection search anymore.

I had to erase or initialize and now its same problem.  Under my wifi, i cant get on PS.com on my account. 

It all started with changing my wifi password and restarting my router.  But ive done that a year before and no problem. same internet 

But I do think its the router somehow, Ive followed everything on youtube vids with same problem, to no avail

It happened to me on the 1st December and cleared up about 24 hours later, so I never got to the bottom of what it was. The precise timespan hints it was some kind of blacklisting or ban or something, but I have no idea what for. I heard from another guy who had the exact same problem.

Are you seeing the "not acceptable" message when logging in on the web?

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you can access PSN via a mobile device or with a VPN but not your home broadband then it is almost certainly an IP address ban on the Sony side.

Sony use products from a company called Akamai to protect their network and the link that @DJ_Shadow1966 provided previously has in the past been helpful in spotting why an IP might be blocked by them, but not so much recently.  These days it seems to always report that an IP is fine when evidence suggests otherwise.  I think that either Akamai have an issue with that tester, or Sony are using additional criteria to decide when to ban an IP address.  You could try this one:

https://www.ipqualityscore.com/free-ip-lookup-proxy-vpn-test

These bans are usually triggered by suspicious traffic emanating from your IP address, traffic usually generated by malware on one of your devices.

It could also be that you are the innocent victim of a drive by and have inherited an IP that was abused by someone else before it was assigned to you, but the sticky nature of VM IP addresses makes this less likely although not impossible.

These bans are always temporary and will be lifted after a few days, but if there is malware on your LAN then the ban will be reinstated.  Worth scanning all your devices for malware.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

lamzer
Joining in

Hi, i picked up a PS5 last week and i've ran into the same problem as you. Everything worked on the first day of gaming, laughter all around with the mates and suddenly it cant connect to PSN servers. I've tried every kind of 'fix' but no result. Is it definitely a problem on the PSN end? I've done a trace route on my pc and it terminated on Akamai Technologies which is PSN's third party cybersecurity service. Did my IP get blacklisted? Did you find a fix around this or did it started working after 24 hours? Please helppp 😕

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @lamzer 

Welcome to the forums and thank you so much for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your PS5. 

Whilst I am not to savvy on the PS5 (not fortunate enough to get my hands on one just yet) 

Picking up from @DJ_Shadow1966 has advised at the start of the post, could you check your network is secure on the PSN network using this link https://www.akamai.com/us/en/clientrep-lookup/

Kind regards,

Zak_M

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@lamzer wrote:

Hi, i picked up a PS5 last week and i've ran into the same problem as you. Everything worked on the first day of gaming, laughter all around with the mates and suddenly it cant connect to PSN servers. I've tried every kind of 'fix' but no result. Is it definitely a problem on the PSN end? I've done a trace route on my pc and it terminated on Akamai Technologies which is PSN's third party cybersecurity service. Did my IP get blacklisted? Did you find a fix around this or did it started working after 24 hours? Please helppp 😕

Try logging into PSN via a Web browser while connected to your VM account and see if it let's you in. If it doesn't then your VM IP has almost certainly been blocked by Sony and it rules out a PS5 issue. You could then try logging in on the web via a mobile phone using mobile data. That will use a different IP address and should show if it is the IP Sony are blocking or if it is a PSN account block.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.