cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlayStation not getting good speed using ethernet

Tasha3
Tuning in

Hi, I’ve ran a test on the app which says my hub is getting speeds of 1160mbps and wifi is 616mbps.

how come my PlayStation is getting 80mbps on a wired connection and 150mbps on wireless? 
I’m not getting anywhere near the speeds that I’m paying for.

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Hero

"80mbps on a wired connection" - this is a network cabled connection that has de-rated from 1000 to 100Mb/s.

The Hub or perhaps the PS may be able to show the status of the connection as 100 Mb/s.

Typically the cause is a loose / faulty cable that has caused one end of the other to switch down to 100 Mb/s  ( or a 10/100 switch ).

The network cable plugs may be loose, internal cable damage is often not visible on the outside.

It may be time for a new CAT6(A) network cable in order to sustain a 1 Gb/s connection with bandwidth to spare.

I’ve just ordered a brand new cat8 Ethernet cable so will let you know tomorrow if this has changed anything.

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I agree with @Client62 it looks like the slow Ethernet speed on the PlayStation is a local hardware issue (usually a faulty cable) as the wireless speed is higher.

The Sony speed tests are notorious for not reflecting the true speed of your connection. The PS5 speed test is usually better than on previous consoles, but in my experience still never shows the true speed of my connection. All you are really testing is the speed of the Sony servers/network not your VM connection.

My setup: VM TV 360 box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

You guys are absolute legends.

PS4 now gets 412mbps

PS5 now gets 810mbps

Thank you - I bought Cat8 Ethernet cables 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Tasha3 wrote:

<snip>  Thank you - I bought Cat8 Ethernet cables 

A good Cat 5e, Cat 6 or Cat 6a is sufficient for 1Gb ethernet.  Anything over this is just a waste of money.

That said, glad you got it sorted !

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I wasn’t taking no chances lol

HI Tasha3, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I am glad to hear that the speed issue has not been resolved and do let us know if anything changes?

Thanks to the support from the community 

Chris