Menu
Highlighted
Hostile18
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

PlayStation Store Disconnects

Hi all.

On the PlayStation store (only) I get disconnect if there's about 1 minute of inactivity. Say I watch a video for example or browse a page too long without clicking a button. The only way to resolve is to go into the PlayStation settings disconnect from the internet wait 10 seconds and click 're connect.

It never happens in game or on any other device. However it's happened for years first on my original PlayStation 4 and then on my PlayStation 4 Pro.

Does anyone know anyway to resolve?

0 Kudos
Shelke
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: PlayStation Store Disconnects

How is the PS4 connected, WiFi or Ethernet? Does it happen when connected via either method or only when using one of the two (if so, specify which one)?

Which hub from VM do you have?

0 Kudos
Hostile18
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

Both PS4 and PS4 Pro were/are connected via Ethernet cable.

I'm not sure which hub (is that just the serial number/model on the black modem?) 

I noticed the Now tv app on the PS4 also disconnects after an episode finishes if another one isn't selected straight away or I pause the stream too long. Like the PSN store I have to go into the PS4 settings and manually click disconnect and reconnect to the internet.

It's strange because online games, friends lists, trophy sync on the PS4 and internet through another device connected wirelessly never disconnect at all.

Edit: I tried wirelessly as well and it still hangs.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Can you try one of the PS4 in modem mode and see what happens?

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode is the best way to game on VM.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hostile18,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

How are things looking for you today?

Have you been able to test the connection on the PS4 with the router being in modem mode?

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Hostile18
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi all.

Thank you for the replies.

I've put it in modem mode and so far it seems like I've got no disconnects at all on the usual hang up spots. I noticed on the test my connection page wired I'd get 35mb download now it's at 53mb (50mb connection).

Its the first generation Super Hub I have.

Obviously putting it in modem mode means I can't connect my pc or phone to the wireless network though which isn't ideal Smiley Happy.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post Hostile18,

Great that you've been able to fix the problem in regards to the lags on the Playstation.

We do find that some customers prefer to purchase there own router and permanently leave the Virgin Media router in modem mode so multiple devices can connect to the 3rd party equipment

David_Bn  

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So now you know it works fine in modem mode you can think about getting your own router with 1Gb ports or try asking for a hub 3.

0 Kudos
Hostile18
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant I'll try that. So what is the actual problem? Why is it working so much faster and no disconnects via modem mode rather than wired or Ethernet cable?

Is it a fault virgin media side or PlayStation? It's not like I'm stressing the connection with multiple devices or anything. I could just have the PlayStation on nothing downloading etc and it still hang on the psn store or Now tv in normal operation (wired or wireless).

Seems like it would be an unnecessary cost with what should be a fairly basic operation (navigating a store, or choosing another episode after a few minutes of inactivity) Thanks again for your help Smiley Happy

0 Kudos