cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping spikes last 2 days - Stockport

Cheeze439
On our wavelength

The last 48 hours I'm seeing constant ping spikes when gaming.

I'm on the superhub 3, SK3 postcode, my PC is connected via ethernet cable.

The hub is in modem mode with an Asus router.

Thing's I've tried...

Restarting all equipment.

Back to router mode and no third party router, same issue so it's not the 3rd party router.

Turned off the pc and run a ping test over wifi from my iphone, exact same spikes so it's not the PC.

Disconnected all wifi devices, same issue so it's not a wifi issue.

I'm certain it's my line now.

Here's a typical ping test chart, there seems to be a repeating pattern, as you can see every 20 seconds there's a big spike. Any help would be appreciated.

ping.png

58 REPLIES 58

Also having exactly the same issue in the same area which started a couple of days ago and has been terrible since then.

Set Up BQM which can be seen here:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/c6dc084d24f071c2d4be2e7b9359353d94...

The fact that this is happening to multiple people makes me think this isn't down to user hardware and is a problem at VM's end even though none of their status checks seem to be reporting anything.

Anonymous
Not applicable

They refuse to accept its at their end over the phone. They keep telling me that it’s my problem.

FTTP can’t come soon enough for me 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a staff member please respond

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
VM will respond but it takes a few days. If you think its a VM problem and its not being reported on the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

If nothing shows there, try calling it in as a fault (free on 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 others - national rate) and see what they say when they test your connection. After all VM are quite reliant on customers reporting issues in a location so they can activate a fix procedure.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to report it and gave up after a 30 minute phone call. Not once did they offer to test anything. They didn’t appear to know what packet loss was and suggested that I need to change my network name and that I reset my hardware

I spoke to customer service who transferred me to tech support with no explanation, who transferred me to the cable team who I found out don’t exist, who transferred Me to the gadget team. I give up. 

everywhere I’ve checked says “status ok” however multiple users are experiencing the same issue in Stockport on this forum.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If many customers are affected it should report on the 0800 number.

CS are useless particularly with packet loss - all they can see is you connection is up and running ok.

So we can "prove" the issue for VM with real data can you do this..

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle or top/right of the Login page and then just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi all,

Thanks for your post @Cheeze439.

We have recently become aware of a network fault affecting the SK2 and SK3 areas. You may find that your services are intermittent until the issue has been resolved. The current estimated fix date for this issue is the 20th October. 

We're really sorry for any inconvenience caused in the meantime until this is resolved. IF you need help with anything else in the meantime please let us know.

Kind regards

Beth

Beth

Are you in modem mode or router mode?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
Not applicable

Router. All devices disconnected except one which is hard wired. Nothing else using my connection. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Beth, I’ve PM’d you.