cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping spikes last 2 days - Stockport

Cheeze439
On our wavelength

The last 48 hours I'm seeing constant ping spikes when gaming.

I'm on the superhub 3, SK3 postcode, my PC is connected via ethernet cable.

The hub is in modem mode with an Asus router.

Thing's I've tried...

Restarting all equipment.

Back to router mode and no third party router, same issue so it's not the 3rd party router.

Turned off the pc and run a ping test over wifi from my iphone, exact same spikes so it's not the PC.

Disconnected all wifi devices, same issue so it's not a wifi issue.

I'm certain it's my line now.

Here's a typical ping test chart, there seems to be a repeating pattern, as you can see every 20 seconds there's a big spike. Any help would be appreciated.

ping.png

58 REPLIES 58

Latest test my end, 8.2% loss so better than last night but still unusable for gaming. Just tried, it’s like a dial up connection  

8C470AF6-2E31-46BC-9082-04EEA8316FFE.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well they said there’s no maintenance in the area, no upgrades, no outages.

“How’s your speed?” - fine.

”you’ve got no issue then”

that’s the gist 

Because the call center staff and most general public think it's all about speed, it's not, this issue doesn't affect youtube and netflix so not enough people will realise there's an issue.

Juist rang them on my lunch to be transferred 4 times, no one is listening at all.

It must be your computer, it must be your games, a device must be interfering!

'But there's at least 3 people in this postcode reporting the same issue', 'No everything is fine, carry on'.

Are there any technicians reading this we need help here!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I got the run around just like you. seems staff are responding to other threads here, just not ours. Absolute joke. 

Just ran multiple tests.

Speed 

low - 120mbps down / 8mbps up

high - 600mbpa down / 38mbps up

latency

low - 20ms

high - 300ms

packet loss

low - 0%

high - 40% 

No, no that’s your dogs fault. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

My dog would give better levels of customer service and he can’t speak. 

What Virgin area do you come under? It’s shown when you log into virgin media. 

Mine is area 20, we need to confirm if we are all on the same branch so to speak. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ll have a look later and check but I’m pretty sure area 20 covers most of Stockport. 

google says it’s SK1-SK23

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you got a BQM set up? If not do it as below. Then see if the packet loss is evident on that. If it is then disconnect any ethernet cable conneced devices from the Hub and run for a few hours to see if that "cleans up" the packet loss. If it does then you know where the issue lays. If it doesnt than its with the VM hub or network connection

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links
chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.