cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping issues

Switcher
On our wavelength

I've been experiencing ping spike issues with some online games such as Valorant, which requires as low ping as possible to play on a competitive level. I do realize that peak times could affect ping and such, however, I seem to be having those ping spike issues constantly for some time now. I have friends who are on Virgin Media as well and have no ping or any issues at all, so I think it could be some local problem. My problem is that I usually get 20-30 ms ping, and all of a sudden it goes to 100-150, and even higher, I will post my network logs in hopes that someone can read them and let me know if everything looks normal there? Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

14 REPLIES 14

Switcher
On our wavelength

Thank you for tuning in @Andrew-G I have looked through the other post that you have linked and the issue seems very relatable. My contract is actually up for renewal next month - the 25th of February, so I am in a good spot to change providers if the problem is left unresolved. I have actually managed to get a technician booked for this coming Thursday 8-12 am slot, by testing my connectivity for issues with the online Virgin Media tool, and after 24 hours they have been persistent, so it let me book an appointment. The BQM really shows that high maximum latency constant on there, and by the looks of it my area must be really oversubscribed. Anyhow I will keep you updated, and let you know how the technician visit has gone, and if any faults have been discovered. Thank you so much for your advice!

Good luck!  It is always possible there's some cause other than over-utilisation and they might fix it, but I'm not optimistic.  If you do conclude you need a new ISP, do not believe any promised fix date from VM's retentions or customer service teams, or any promises to investigate or upgrade your connection. 

Hi @Switcher

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Really sorry for the broadband issues. I can see you have got a tech booked in but I have cancelled this as will be a fruitless visit. I have raised a congestion outage both on your account and to the networks team. They'll investigate and have an official issue lodged on the account within a few days. I will monitor this and come back to you as soon as I know further.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Switcher
On our wavelength

Well certainly thank you for your reply, however, I was expecting something like a fixed date soon or something, not looking forward to a waiting a year or two for this to go away, as I need to get what I am paying for on the spot, not this joke of an internet that is basically unusable for simple tasks. According to your technician, my area is with 98% overutilization which is pretty high, no?? Anyhow, I would expect you to be monitoring those things yourselves, and not having me chase this up for you to deal with. I have concluded that I will be switching providers in this case, as there seem to be no quick fixes for this, and I wouldn't expect there to be one. I have left the BQM running, for anyone else to see if this would get sorted whilst I am still on your network, but I have low hopes. Thank you, to the forum members who were so quick to diagnose the issue, and help me make the right decision.

Hi @Switcher

Just a quick update. Networks have come back to us. There is a congestion issue. Your fault reference is F009585487. The estimated fix date is the 2nd February.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill