cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping Spike

mlatto
Joining in

Hello

For the past week or so I have been having issues with ping spikes whilst online gaming. The games I have noticed this in are Path of Exile and League of Legends, these spikes are making much of the content in the game unplayable. I have a broadband quality monitor set up however I think the spikes are likely too short to consistently show up on the graph, I have included it below for reference.

296acaaf05ed0957c50c98f80cdfe473a13b1b44-18-02-2022

Although most noticble in gaming this issue is also effecting streaming, with streams of Youtube/Twitch/Netflix also buffering sometimes, although more infrequent.

I have a friend who is also a VM customer who lives around 10 miles from me, he is also suffering ping spikes at the same time as I do whilst we play Path of Exile together, he has also complained of streaming services not being very good either.

I have tried all the usual troubleshooting steps - reset hub, change cable to PC, NIC PC drivers updated. I have even swapped out my router (my hub is in modem mode) but no luck.

The VM service status page did show and issue on 16/02 and told me to check back after 24 hours which then showed no issues - however the issue still persists.

Any help would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

mlatto
Joining in

I am on M200 - I think my friend I mentioned in the original post is on the 1GB line though. We are based in Fife Scotland, in case it is a regional thing. (Ours must be, but might not be related to your issue)

Also based in Fife experiencing these

Forgot to mention it's been happening yesterday and today, only on league of legends.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @mlatto

Welcome back to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having some issues with your broadband services. 

Please could you let me know if this is via a wired connection? Could you also provide me with the live link to the BQM?

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hello @Zak_M

Thank you for your reply. Yes this is happening on a wired connection, since posting I have also tried this on a laptop via both wired and wireless connection and the issue remains. Please see the link below as requested. The same as last week - the spikes are being felt but I think they are so short that the monitor is not fully picking them up.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/c3d80b6121aafb820b6b322e08b5b05525...

Hi mlatto

Has there been any improvement since your post?

If not, I have sent you a private message to gain account access and have a look at this

Please ignore it if you dont require any assistance

Gareth_L