cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss, latency, FIFA 21

jamesnight77
Tuning in

All,

Like many reported issues on here, i'm getting pretty fed up with the terrible connection for certain online games, notably, FIFA 21.

I'm on the Hub3, I've been with Virgin since July last year. My main frustration is that FIFA 21 is unplayable with this connection. I'm constantly lagging which makes a fast paced game impossible.

I'm connected via LAN rather than wireless, its right next to the hub so thats no issue. I've forwarded ports, tried DMZ, tried turning off upnp, tried reboots, tried changing DNS. The only thing I haven't done is buy a router. However, I've read that this hasn't fixed the problem for plenty of others so not that motivated to spend over £100 to be in the same situation.

I have heard its down to the routing to the servers that Virgin maps for the connection. There are several unknown hosts which all introduce latency into the game.

I've done a BQM which doesn't look great, but not sure how bad it is as i've not got much comparison. See here:

BQM 

I've also done a UOtrace which shows 100ms pings which is just not acceptable, I don't understand why Virgins routing is so complex and slow....

Would really appreciate any help.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

jamstar2k
On our wavelength

Im assuming you get the same pings on all games, is it specific to FIFA?

What platform are you playing on?

What connection have you got with Virign? ie M100, M200, M350 etc

What are your peak download speeds?

I'm gamer and used to be on there M200 (200Mbps) recently upgraded to giga1... i've never seen pings over 20ms so ther could be a problem with your line..

Haven’t tested other games but don’t seem to have a noticeable issue on them. 

I play on PS4. Connection is m100. I do get the full connection. So peak is about 108. 

Ive checked all the things on the fifa side and the uotrace is my biggest concern. Some hosts on the trace show very low pings and others are very high. It’s gotta be those high ones that are causing the problem. There is nothing in the middle. Another customer I was speaking to said he thinks it’s the route that virgin make the connection take. Loads of unknown hosts and too many of them compared to other ISPs. 

what results do you get from - https://www.netmeter.co.uk/ping-test/

Could be jitter - if they're too many hops then there is nothing Virgin can do. I sometimes play FIFA on Xbox and its usally ok but i must admit some games experience lag spikes but its nothing too that interupts game too adversley.

Id also advise you to purchase your own router (if you can) and put the virgin box into Modem mode.. you'll get much beetr results in general.

CTM03
Joining in

Hey, I'm having the exact same issues. With Fifa and Fortnite. 

I'll be playing a game and suddenly i'm hit with these crazy lag spikes and insanely high ping. 

I've posted a question on here a couple of days ago but still unanswered. Any help though would be great as I feel your frustration. I'm far from techy, but I have the M200 and avrage between 140-160Mpbs. My PS is about 5 feet away from the router too. 

Are you playing over wireless? If it’s 5ft away then I’d definitely be doing a wired connection. I’ve not seen your post but I also play fortnite. I did go through a phase of randomly getting a red x and then losing connection from a game. Weirdly it hasn’t happened for a while though. Definitely affected more by fifa than on fortnite. Don’t seem to have much of an issue on there whereas fifa is just unplayable. 

What do you get from the ping test?

D4767A06-00FB-4E6B-9438-EA9BFD17E110.jpeg

Much worse than I thought...

If your speed is ok and the packet loss is still poor that usually suggest over utilisation from VM.. You could try new router but im not sure if that would help you..

If you pop of to the speed forum and create a packet loss post - there are a few people in there that are more techinal than me.. they will help

Thanks. Will give that a go. What do you think to the bqm I posted? Anything noteworthy in that?