cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss and bad support

Kappa1891210
On our wavelength

Hello, 

I have been experiencing really bad packet loss during online gameplay in the past week.

I have reached out to phone support and I have had various bad experiences, ranging from the person on the phone guiding me to find a hole that is not the reset button and put a pin in it for 30 seconds, assuring me that it has to be there and it's definitely not the reset button, to people not even knowing what packet loss is and after reading the definition to them, having them correct me and saying "it is something that we here at VM call latency". The conclusion was that we should "keep our fingers crossed" and hope that it gets fixed. After wasting a lot of time with phone calls, I managed to get a technician sent to my house. They updated my router firmware and proceeded to say there is an unknown problem in the area and VM is not the only ISP to suffer from it, but also Sky and BT. The technician did not check the signal quality coming through the coaxial cable to my router, but instead pulled out his phone and showed me the Sky forum where other people complain about packet loss. Needless to say, neither the firmware update nor the knowledge that other people have packet loss as well indicated where the actual problem is or a solution to fix it. The technician proposed it was BT's fault as he suggested that they knew about the problem before VM found out and failed to communicate, as they partly share the same equipment in certain zones of their infrastructure. That being said, the knowledge of BT's fault did not fix the issue either and as the technician departed from my address, I was left wondering if or when will I be able to benefit from the services I am actively paying for.

Therefore, seeing how even the technician is using the forums to gather information, I must turn to the same activity as I continue the journey to find a fix for the elusive packet loss.

Since it is a common practice, here is a link to my monitor:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/64b024e69ee6ab44f3dc1d205d19fedab3...

I would really appreciate a solution @VirginMedia

24 REPLIES 24

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

HI Kappa1891210 

Thank you for updating the thread and advising on what happened during the visit. 

I will pop you over a private message to discuss the findings and the next steps. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

Disgusting.

Options are: Shut up and pay up for broken services or sue VM.

Those are the only options you get when their services fail. I have been defeated. Good for you VM. Here are 60 pounds every month for nothing.

I have learned the hard way that I do not matter. Goodbye.

We're sorry you feel this way Kappa1891210, it's clearly not the way we want any of our customers to feel. Did you get chance to see the Private Message from my colleague?

Rob

This one? Yes. I read it.

Re: Packet loss and bad support

Hello (insertmynamehere), 

Thank you for getting back in touch. 

I have taken a look from our side and can see that you have recently escalated your complaint to a manager. 

During the review of your complaint, the manager has looked in to your request to disconnect without early termination fees. 

As per the terms and conditions provided for your service, early termination fees would apply if you chose to end your agreement earlier than the agreed date. 

The matter has now been deadlocked and we will be unable to offer an alternative outcome. 

Please let us know if you have any questions. 

Thanks, 

Nat 

We are very sorry to hear that your complaint has been moved to deadlock @Kappa1891210 but this does mean you can escalate the complaint to a third party should you wish you. 

The steps to do so will be included in the deadlock letter once this is received but you can view our complaints procedure online here