cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss & Terrible upload speed

ritch7
On our wavelength

Same as everyone else, constant red packet loss as shown by a BQM test.

Recently just upgraded to 1gig as well, pretty ridiculous. 

Upload speed down to 3mb, just posting here to add to the list of people to show how diabolical your service is.

You certainly had no issue emailing and texting me every 5 minutes to get your old router back, pathetic.

31 REPLIES 31

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You really need to setup a BQM as suggested by @Andrew-G earlier in the thread.  This would have been recording the state of your incoming circuit for records.  It's not too late to set it up   www.thinkbroadband.com/ping  If you are thinking of a Complaint Procedure then the BQM will come in useful.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ritch7
On our wavelength

?

I did set up a BQM its literally in one of the first 3 posts.

Anyway;

I received an SMS today, saying we've fixed your connection (it's been fine for 2 days now, great!) - and then... 10pm came and the packet loss started again. 

The last 3-4 days too when I ran the service status it said We've found an intermittent signal issue with noise in your area too, give us 24 hours. Then it got fixed, and now it's back.

Pretty sure this is the same as last time, again, the issue is not at my home so the engineer coming to my house on the 5th makes no sense when its more clear than ever the same issue is happening that I had in 2020. Check the notes, apply the fix whatever that engineer did then.

It's such a waste of time with this on off on off stuff and me having to repeat myself.

Thanks for coming back to us @ritch7.

I have looked into your account and can see that the appointment booked in is to rebury your cable, we are hoping that this will improve the situation and stop you having the issues.

Please can you let us know how the visit goes and if it improves your connection speed at all.

Regards,

Steven_L

@Steven_L wrote:

Thanks for coming back to us @ritch7.

I have looked into your account and can see that the appointment booked in is to rebury your cable, we are hoping that this will improve the situation and stop you having the issues.

Please can you let us know how the visit goes and if it improves your connection speed at all.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven_L,

can you explain how reburying a cable could reduce these issues that only appear during peak times? Surely if a cable is damaged the performance will be poor all the time?

Thank you

Hi @2021technology, thanks for your post.

Apologies if this was unclear, but a rebury can also mean a complete replacement of the existing cable too, it might not necessarily mean just putting the current cable back underground.

It's obviously down to what the technician sees is necessary at the time, but they'll be completely aware of what is required to resolve the issue due to the notes left on @ritch7's account.

@ritch7, please let us know how you get on once the rebury has taken place.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Tom_W

@Tom_W1 wrote:

Hi @2021technology, thanks for your post.

Apologies if this was unclear, but a rebury can also mean a complete replacement of the existing cable too, it might not necessarily mean just putting the current cable back underground.

It's obviously down to what the technician sees is necessary at the time, but they'll be completely aware of what is required to resolve the issue due to the notes left on @ritch7's account.

@ritch7, please let us know how you get on once the rebury has taken place.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Thanks for your reply. Yes I understood you meant burying a new cable. My question was if the cable was faulty then why would the performance only suffer during peak times as opposed to all the time? I ask because an engineer proposed this to me but the second engineer such a thing would not be useful

ritch7
On our wavelength

Engineer said there was no point reburying, like I knew there wouldn't be, honestly sick of this circus currently.

He said he can't find anything wrong BUT, there could be an issue somewhere in the network but it isn't obviously displaying to the network team or they'd see it.

Now, as explained for probably the 19th time. In 2020, I had this EXACT same issue.

Why would no-one at this point go back and check all engineer reports to see what the issue was to fix it?

I still have the issue now, I am still unable to do my job. 

This is not ok.

ritch7
On our wavelength

I'd also like to point out the Engineer didn't know what was wrong and I had to explain so the "notes on my account" were obviously useless. 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ritch7

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Please let us know how your service is performing after the repull, my apologies for the previous inconvenience. 

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

ritch7
On our wavelength

Still have packet loss, it hasn't been as bad lately, cable was changed today though, still there.

As said, a million times.

2020, same issue. Noise was found because of another house in the area.

Fix it.