cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss affecting OBS streaming to YouTube

gjmalone
Tuning in

Hi there,

For the last 6 months ago I have been streaming gaming sessions to YouTube successfully with a video bitrate of 12288 Kbps to achieve a 1440p 60fps picture. I have been able to do this consistently for the last 6 months with minimal issues.

All of a sudden, within the last week, OBS has been reporting that I am dropping over 50-60% frames when streaming to the same service, and when I switch to their dynamic bitrate setting which configures the output based on the connection I am only able to achieve a maximum of 2000 Kbps. My connection, which I know from the last 6 months of successful streaming, is capable of achieving 12288 Kbps.

After doing some research I found that packet loss is one of the main symptoms for inconsistent streaming and so set up the following BQM to diagnose. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/f3af3375cd1d409010c4e559e6d40b26d37a5ca1

From the last 24 hours there has been a small but consistent rate of packet loss from my connection when I would expect to see zero.

Is anyone able to support in understanding how to resolve?

6 REPLIES 6

gjmalone
Tuning in

Looking at it again, the latency appears extremely sporadic as well. Any help would be appreciated 🙂

Hey look!

My BQM has exactly the same bump at around 8:00pm!

Same little sprinkle of packet loos too.

You are not in Berkshire by any chance?

Okay, good to see that it's not an isolated incident then!

Birmingham for me.

Hopefully someone picks this up!

Hi gjmalone, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having an issue with your service. 

I have taken a look at our systems to see what's going on and can see that there is an open fault currently affecting your services. The details of this are below: 

• Fault reference number: F009661530
  • Estimated fix time: 02 MAR 2022 09:00
  • Description: Status report || You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Voice and Virgin TV services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you.

I have made a note of this on your account so the relevant teams are aware you are affected. If there is anything else we can do, let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath,

Thank you for the update. I have waited until the end of the week to see if anything would improve. Since Tuesday 2nd March when the work was due to be completed I have seen a pretty much full removal of the packet loss issue, a couple of spots but for the most part it looks cleared up which is great! However, with the removal of the packet loss issue comes a new issue with sporadic high latency pings throughout the day which would not expect to see.

Could you please have a look into this? The BQM link above is still active and available to view.

Thank you in advance

Hi @gjmalone, thanks for your post and great to hear things have improved!

I've checked all of the logs and there aren't any issues with power level specifications that could be causing this.

Could you kindly try and reboot your Hub, and monitor this for the next few days to see how you get on, as it looks like this hasn't been done since the issue was resolved?

Many thanks

Tom_W