cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss / Latency every evening in same window

DaveCS01
Tuning in

Hi all,

Hoping someone here might have some ideas - I've put this in gaming support as it's gaming that I notice the impact, but I'm getting consistent packet loss / latency warnings on all games between the 20:30-22:30 window every evening for the past 10-12 months. I would've logged a ticket before but couldn't find any way to do so via the website?

Running Gig1 via a SH4, the computer is hardwired directly to the SH4. Different cables have been tested, different ethernet ports have been tested on both the SH4 and different motherboards in the PC. We've also tried a completely different PC and got the same result.

There is no "drop" as such, just consistent loss. If you were using your phone or watching Netflix etc you wouldn't notice anything, but on gaming it's obviously quite a significant issue. 

I've had the thinkbroadband monitor running for a while now if any data from that would be useful, but you can see from tonight's example exactly where the issues begin from the increase in average and maximum latency shortly after 9pm.

b5f8de0b775b79b2599cb8e9db8cad9b905a573d.png

I've seen a few people posting downstream / upstream / network logs so I've copied these in the post below (hit the character limit) - taken just now from the hub. Hopefully someone can spot something obvious I might be able to try here. For info - we have factory reset the router a couple of times. We had the same issue on the SH3 we had previously as well, so doesn't appear to be a router specific thing?

Any ideas at all appreciated - thanks in advance!

13 REPLIES 13

R-T-G
On our wavelength

We're experiencing the same and also have Forum Team members saying all's good so that's that. @DaveCS01 I wish you all the luck finding a different provider x

------------------------------------------------------------------
My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media Broadband

Hi John / Nat,

I appreciate you checking on Thursday, however I believe the lack of issues is because the network was not at all utilised on Thursday - I connected my entire home network to my mobile (VMO2 4G) hotspot to try and isolate the issue. I can confirm that via the phone hotspot, I had zero packet loss / latency issues through Wednesday evening (while using the hotspot). This continued through till Saturday when I reconnected to the Virgin SH4 to complete the direct comparison and you can see Saturday / Sunday, we have the same latency peaks again in the 8pm-10pm window.

Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 10.38.00.png

Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 10.38.12.png

I understand you're not seeing any issues your end, I presume this means that there is nothing we are able to try to resolve? I just want to clarify exactly before I look at next steps. Thanks again for your help so far.

More of the same issue tonight unfortunately. Switched my PC to run off my mobile hotspot again and immediately working ok - so definitely not a local hardware issue and something with the Virgin side of things if that helps at all. Saw a few people mention overheating in another post so today I've made sure the router is well ventilated / lots of clear space around it. Hasn't made any difference.

dd17635f7ca8434d974f5a6005b40399.png

Hi DaveCS01,

Thanks for coming back to us on this and expanding on things further.

I'm sorry to hear that your issues have returned. Taking a look at things here, the downstream power levels are too high. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs