cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS5 slow via TP-Link and Hub 3

Lee1ngham
Tuning in

Hey,

I’m quite new to Virgin as recently moved over from Sky.

I have the PS5 upstairs in the bedroom and the router in the front room and Bob are connected via a TP Link starter kit. On my phone currently I’m getting 32mb via WiFi and on the PS5 via TP I’m getting around 5mb. I’ve just hard wired the PS5 to the router with a monitor to test it and I’m getting 170mb so I know it’s not the speed coming to the house that’s the issue.

What can be done to speed this up as that seems awful tbh

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lee1ngham wrote:

Hey,

I have the PS5 upstairs in the bedroom and the router in the front room and Bob are connected via a TP Link starter kit. On my phone currently I’m getting 32mb via WiFi and on the PS5 via TP I’m getting around 5mb. I’ve just hard wired the PS5 to the router with a monitor to test it and I’m getting 170mb so I know it’s not the speed coming to the house that’s the issue.

What exact kit is it?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Lee1ngham wrote:

Hey,

If they are powerline adaptors, thats maybe why as they don't always perform well and depend a lot on the state of the house wiring.  Best to hard wire for gaming.  Other than that, maybe invest in a mesh system, Deco seem to be the choice here, but avoid one's with only 100mb ethernet ports.

As for leaving Sky, you may find your gaming performance is not as good, due to higher latency that's inherent with cable broadband.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

PS5, Hub 3 and the TP link starter kit.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I think Carl was looking confirmation that your TP Link kit is, in fact, a set of powerline adaptors?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ah sorry I’m not entirely sure but this is what I purchased 

662EA79A-DC60-47DF-9FF0-495D89FAFDA0.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lee1ngham wrote:

Ah sorry I’m not entirely sure but this is what I purchased 

662EA79A-DC60-47DF-9FF0-495D89FAFDA0.jpeg

That kit only has 100Mbps ethernet posts, so you won't get more than around 90Mbps:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa4010-kit/ 

On top of that depending on the distance and your home wiring you won't see that speed.

Ah thanks Carl.

The PS5 is diagonally above the router as unable to be put anywhere else so the distance can’t be changed annoyingly. What would you recommend to buy to get higher speeds?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lee1ngham wrote:

Ah thanks Carl.

The PS5 is diagonally above the router as unable to be put anywhere else so the distance can’t be changed annoyingly. What would you recommend to buy to get higher speeds?

No chance of running ethernet?

No as would have to go through the ceiling and round