cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS5 Connection issues

connorp7
Tuning in

Hi all, 

Have been speaking to Virgin Customer Services now for about a week and a half having called 4 separate times about an issue with connection speeds and high latency.  

With my contract, I should be receiving a minimum of 107 mbps, but each time I do an internet speed test through my PS5 it consistently comes out as below this - ranging from 9mbps to 79mbps.  I will have times when the connection is alright I can play for an hour but then the connection will drop and justs boot me out mid-game. However, my current experience is that each time I try to game online I am unable to connect or have high latency. 

I have tried switching internet cables, trying wifi, and resetting the Virgin hub and my PS5 multiple times but with no luck.  

I am at the point where Virgin are saying on their end my connection speed is above 200mbps but on my end when i do a speed test it is below my minimum of 107mbps.  

Has anyone had any luck or has had a similar issue?

Cheers in advance

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Consoles are not good for speed testing and VM do not recognise speed tests over wifi.

You need a gigabit capable laptop or PC with a known good Cat 6a cable, wired directly to the Hub.  If you don't have the kit perhaps you can borrow one from a relative?

Post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub. Also setup a BQM to monitor your circuit www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The speed guarantee is to the hub.

Which hub have you got and does it support SamKnows RealSpeed, so you can test the speed your hub is getting from VM?

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

Thank you for the advice, so I am using the internet cable supplied by virgin media with the box so i believe it is a Cat 6 cable.  

"Post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub." would you be able to clarify how to do this by any chance? 

Brill, I have set up a BQM, thanks!

Connor

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@connorp7 wrote:

<snip>  "Post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub." would you be able to clarify how to do this by any chance? 

Browse to 192.168.0.1 and don't logon.  Click the Router Status and post all the tab information here using cut and pasting the text.  It will take several post to upload all the information.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Never Never Never, did i say Never use the Speedtest on a console to test your internet speed.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?