Menu
Stormer_Archer
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

PS4 slow upload speeds, intermittent drop outs.

Slow upload speeds & intermittent drop out.
Now I have read a bit on this issue, and still not making sense of how to resolve it.

I run a wired PS4 pro, 100Mb package VM, I am self employed, sometimes I game during the day, mainly at night, when in theory the internet is quietest. I am often gaming with upload speeds (checked on PS internet test) 220 Kbs.
Upload is important when gaming PVP & PvE it seems. I get kicked everyday almost, the best speed before the SH 3.0 was about 6 Mbs, THE best speed I have seen in 8 months is 2.4 Kbs.

I have had engineers out to rewire connections, change smart hub, replace cables, yet Customer Unservice believe I have no fault.
I am at a loss as what I can do??

I have tried port forward & didn't see a change, since then I cannot access my router homepage as the password no longer works. The default password is not recognised.

When testing speeds on my Xbox 1 I still get 6 Mb upload, and wireless testing produces what I would expect, glowing reports.
So where is the problem? Is it Playstation Network, or Virgin Media??

I am hoping someone out there can help.       

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 slow upload speeds, intermittent drop outs.

Regarding the password for the Hub, you may need to perform a factory reset to get around this.

6mbps is the upload speed you should be getting on the VIVID100 package (100 is the download, not the upload), the fact that your Xbox One manages to get this at least shows that you are receiving this speed to the Hub and the fault is not with the service you are receiving.
The speed test on the PlayStation 4 is incredibly bad, even though my console can fully achieve the 22mbps (VIVID350 gets that as upload) the speed test within the console system settings still shows a much lower speed than this for download and upload.

I recommend doing the Hub factory reset I mentioned at the start to correct the password ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-reset-your-hub#hub3 ) and then checking if the reset also affects the performance of the PS4s connectivity, after that it'll be easier to continue troubleshooting.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You could try a test with the hub in modem mode:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

I'm not suggesting this as a solution (you don't get wireless from the hub in modem mode) just a test to see if it is the router part of the hub that is causing your issue.  Even with port forwarding the VM hubs are often very poor at handling multiple consoles on the same LAN.

If things are OK in modem mode then it is not a line fault or PSN fault and a long term solution is to get a third party router and stick with modem mode.

I have always had my VM hubs in modem mode and used my own router.  Never had any issues on PS3 or PS4.  My PS4 is currently reporting my upload speed as 4Mbps and my PC says 12.15Mbps so I never trust the Sony test.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I second modem mode, been running this way since the Superhub was released.

The SH (any version) in useless for gaming in router mode, I have said this for many years now.

And never trust the Sony PS test.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
Stormer_Archer
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply,

what would you recommend as a good quality router that works well with the SH 3.0?  

Is it easy to setup.? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Stormer_Archer wrote:

Thanks for your reply,

what would you recommend as a good quality router that works well with the SH 3.0?  

Is it easy to setup.? 

Like recommending a lot of things it is difficult without knowing your circumstances, budget and needs other than better PS4 performance.

To get something better than the Hub 3 isn't too difficult.  Look for a router with Gigabit Ethernet ports and AC wireless.  I don't think you would need to go for any of the top of the range "gaming" routers.  Setup should be easy (mine was) but occasionally you get posts on here where some folk have issues and can usually get help from the community. 

The one I currently have, the Netgear R7000, works for me and has been recommended on Reddit and Xbox forums as being good for users with multiple consoles.  The R7000 has been superseded by a few newer Netgear routers but it has served me well for over 4 years and is still being sold by Netgear so can't be obsolete yet Smiley Happy 

Can't really comment on any other manufacturer's stuff as I have always bought Netgear routers.

Some router reviews here:

https://uk.pcmag.com/routers/8151/the-best-wireless-routers

The reviews on Amazon can also tell you a lot about a router.  Hope that helps.

Stormer_Archer
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Scott, 

really useful info. Thanks. I Will look into routers and try and work out what to get.

Kind regards,

Brett. 

RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have used the ASUS range of routers for years, got my first in 2012, and updated it in 2018. They work great with the SH3.

My PC is wired for gaming, but I use wireless on my PS4 Pro. Never had a problem with LAG or Drop outs.

I have said since I got my first SH in 2011, that modem mode is the best way to game on VM, before that VM would only give modems out.
You had to buy your own router, this was the day when with Max Speed was 20Mbps, and when we went to 50Mpbs VM provided another modem.
Then came the SH to make life easier for the people who knew nothing about home networks. IMHO this was a backwards step by VM.

No wonder we see so many people saying gaming is useless on VM, its all down to the SH in router mode.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Stormer_Archer wrote:

Thanks Scott, 

really useful info. Thanks. I Will look into routers and try and work out what to get.

No problem Brett.  I would suggest testing the PS4 in modem mode before spending money on a new router, just in case the issue is not the fault of the hub's router functions.  It probably will be but best to check Smiley Happy

Reggie-2019
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The upload speeds could be to do with where the PS4 Pro is located around the house, maybe try a wireless connection. Although everyone says wired it better, still try wireless you might be able to get better upload, also the drop outs are to do with a chip inside the Hub 3.0 that hasn’t been fixed yet, there is supposed to be an ‘update!’ Where it will be fixed!

Kind Regards,

Reggie!

0 Kudos