tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 22 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 lag from poor upload speed

@Lee2 wrote:

what we need is somebody from virgin to tell us what is causing this issue

If using wireless turn off smart WiFi. 

If that doesn’t help or If connected wired post a BQM and your stats.  Upstream issues / local congestion would explain upload / gaming lag if speed is otherwise OK

see this post from sephiroth here

Lh93
Joining in
Message 23 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help, Tony.

Disabling Smart Wifi and manually setting the channels is what fixed it for me a couple of weeks ago, but it then returned a few days ago. No amount of re-enabling then disabling or anything else was working.

I tried again today though and it worked! Went from my in game ping going from 20-300ms every couple of seconds to now having steady 15-35ms ping.

Here are my settings if it helps anyone else out. I'm wirelessly connected to an original PS4 with a hub3. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 23.29.14.png

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 24 of 28
Flag for a moderator

People when are you going to wake up.

THE SH3 is USELESS FOR GAMING. It does not have the computing power to pass the traffic thru quick enough.
Plus the issue with the firmware / intel puma chipset. There are other posts about this.

Just turn you SH3 into modem mode, and get a external router. I have been running my VM service like this since 2011.

I started off on VM20 service, moving to VM50, in them days you only got a MODEM, and Had to provide your own router. Now i am on VM350 and all works great for me. I have beta tested SH2 / SH2AC and there just like the others. But the SH3 is the biggest mistake VM made. Maybe they will get it right one day. 

The SH range was designed for complete novices (there are other words i can use), for easy setup, but no good for gaming.

All routers given away by any ISP are always going to be cheap and useless.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Lee2
Dialled in
Message 25 of 28
Flag for a moderator

using your own route doesnt make a difference you do realize that right? ive tried using my own router, doesnt do nothing. you have to put sh3 on modem mode and plug your own router into the back. which means if people have fluctuating speeds or gaming lag, they are still going to have these gaming issues as the connection is still going through the sh3. So stop telling people to get their own router when the issue is with virgin, they are not good for gaming fullstop. i have various friends on BT using the supplied router and are having no issues with lag. 

0 Kudos
Lee2
Dialled in
Message 26 of 28
Flag for a moderator

The only thing that would help is if virgin allowed us to use our own router fullstop without the need of having a superhub 3 in modem mode.

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 27 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Using your own router definitely makes a difference as a lot of people here have discovered. If you're still having issues, even when using your own router, perhaps there is an underlying issue with your connection? Utilisation in your area or power levels out of spec etc?

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 28 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@Lee2 wrote:

using your own route doesnt make a difference you do realize that right? ive tried using my own router, doesnt do nothing. you have to put sh3 on modem mode and plug your own router into the back. which means if people have fluctuating speeds or gaming lag, they are still going to have these gaming issues as the connection is still going through the sh3. So stop telling people to get their own router when the issue is with virgin, they are not good for gaming fullstop. i have various friends on BT using the supplied router and are having no issues with lag. 

Using you own router make one hell of a difference. I should know, i have been using its since 2011, on every version on SH VM have issued.
Hence the reason VM invited me (yes VM Invited me) on to there BETA program. I was told by a MOD years ago, that modem mode is better for gaming, and i fully agree with him. Also when i have had the odd time for an engineer visit, once they see the set i run, they agree is better that way.

The computing power in the SH3 cant handle all the router / modem at once, hence its misses instructions and causing LAG. Its only got an INTEL ATOM processor.

The Computing power of the SH3 is ok for modem mode, and with your own router doing its bit, all works.

VM will NEVER allow you to bypass the SH, VM run a DOCSIS 3 network, not an ADSL like BT.

If you dont want to listen to me or others then, please have fun with CS.

REMEMBER i am not the one with LAG or SPEED issues, that's you, I only Pass on ADVICE I know works.
I work in IT Support, and work with NETWORKS on a daily basis. So i know my stuff.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos