Menu
Matthewcole7
Joining in
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

PS4 lag from poor upload speed

Over the past month I’ve been lagging on all my online games on my PS4. I’ve tried everything from changing DNS or MTU to port forwarding and nothing seems to work. I think it’s linked to my upload speed dropping to around 200-300 kbps and I honestly don’t know how to fix it. Any help would be welcomed 

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 lag from poor upload speed

Are you using a wired connection or wireless, if you're using wireless try using a cable and see if that resolves the issue, if it does then you know your problem

Matthewcole7
Joining in
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I’m using a wireless connection. Will look into getting a wired connection, cheers 

0 Kudos
Static
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Take a look at this thread: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/FIX-FOR-PS4-LAG-SPIKES-WORKING-FOR-MANY/m-p/3798...

It will help on wireless, but I’d still recommend a wired connection as a long term solution.
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

When will people get it. The SH is crap for gaming FULL STOP. No matter what Console or PC you use.

I game on a PS4 Pro Wireless 5GHz, and NEVER had lag.

My son games on a XBOX 1 Wireless 5GHz, and NEVER had lag.

I also game on a PC Wired, and NEVER had lag.

I have have had a SH, Beta Tested a SH2 and SH2AC, and now have a SH3 on the VM350 service.

In all that time I have used MODEM Mode, and by own Router (ASUS), and VM internet works GREAT.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Lee2
Dialled in
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

i have same exact issue. im convinced this is due to the superhub 3. they release firmware to fix the latency problem and all of a sudden theres a upload speed issue with the ps4. my upload speed is fine when doing speedtest. im curious to know if other ps4 users have same issue with virgin.

0 Kudos
antthedrummer
Just joined
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Same here. SH3 on a wired connection - around 200kb upload on the PS4. At least 6Mbps on other devices.

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

The Original PS4 had a very basic NIC (Network card) built in, and was very slow.
The wifi only supports the 2.4GHz range up to N Spec.

The NIC in a PS4 Pro is a whole lot faster, and on the wireless side supports 5GHz range, and well as Wireless AC spec.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Lee2
Dialled in
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

whats that got to do with anything? weve only had thus problem since new firmware. the issue is caused by virgin not our playstations

0 Kudos
Jym60
Settling in
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

The entire service is pathetic. I too have had unplayable lag on PS4 for the last month. Gaming is basically all I use the internet for, so really bad stuff. I would leave immediately if I wasn't planning to leave the country in 6 months. Only stayed because I am on a rolling contract. But will be terminating that if it doesn't improve.

I too am sick of phoning India based call centres too. They are completely useless. Black spots my bum. Your service has got rubbish and that's all there is to it!

I also moved house 2 weeks ago, and the call centre screwed up my transfer, causing me to wait 2 weeks. I mean the service is actual rubbish, so might as well not bothered transferring at all.

0 Kudos