Menu
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 11 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 lag from poor upload speed

@Lee2 wrote:

whats that got to do with anything? weve only had thus problem since new firmware. the issue is caused by virgin not our playstations

Wow.

Do you read anything in these forums.

The latest firmware fixed a problem with the intel puma chipset. This chipset issue has been around since DAY 1 of the SH3.

I have has a SH, SH2/SH2AC (Beta tested both), now an SH3. All have been put into MODEM Mode, with ASUS routers.
I have NEVER had LAG in this config. The SH3 in router mode, is not good enough for gaming.

Also the PS4 Pro does have a Faster / Improved Wifi card over the Orginal PS4.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Jym60
Settling in
Message 12 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@RedGooner wrote:

@Lee2 wrote:

whats that got to do with anything? weve only had thus problem since new firmware. the issue is caused by virgin not our playstations

Wow.

Do you read anything in these forums.

The latest firmware fixed a problem with the intel puma chipset. This chipset issue has been around since DAY 1 of the SH3.

I have has a SH, SH2/SH2AC (Beta tested both), now an SH3. All have been put into MODEM Mode, with ASUS routers.
I have NEVER had LAG in this config. The SH3 in router mode, is not good enough for gaming.

Also the PS4 Pro does have a Faster / Improved Wifi card over the Orginal PS4.

Wow indeed. Do you work for Virgin?

I have played for years with zero problems, on launch Ps4. And now Virgin internet is garbage, with constant lag spikes. 

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Lee2
Dialled in
Message 13 of 28
Flag for a moderator

i dont care if ps4 pro had faster wifi, i always use a wired connection and my upload speed is always 300-500kbps. never had this issue before until last month which is causing lag and disconnects in games. Various other people are reporting same issue. 

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 14 of 28
Flag for a moderator

No i dont work for VM.

Shame on Jym60 and Lee2 for potty mouths...lol

I have been using there service since 2008, so i think I know there system. I started out on a 20Mbit service, now on the 350Mbit.

Yes the SH3 is the biggest mistake VM have for a router. That's why i held off from having one. I was happy with my SH2AC.

Now i have a SH3 in modem mode, with the latest firmware, and it works. Also my network traffic is done by my OWN router. The SH3 just works as a modem. This is the best way to game on VM.

My Speed on WIFI on a PS4 Pro, and like i said before NO LAG.

ps4prospeed.jpgPS4 Pro Wifi Speed

--
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lh93
Joining in
Message 15 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the same issue with me. Been a Virgin Media customer since December 2017 and never had any issues until a few weeks ago. I have a PS4 (not pro) connected wirelessly to a hub 3.0. I've been reading that that's not the ideal setup but, like I said, it hasn't cause me any issues until now.

Speedtest.net on a laptop in the same room as the PS4 with give me 55Mbps download and 3Mbps upload.

Internet connection test on the PS4 will vary from 20-40Mbps download (which is fine), and 100kbps-2.6Mbps upload (which is not fine).

In game my ping will fly around from 25ms (my usual ping when things are working) to 300ms every couple of seconds and is completely unplayable. 

I tried looking for solutions about a week ago and seemed to fix it after playing around in the router settings. But now it's back and any settings changes I make seem to make no difference. 

0 Kudos
blobbyrob
Tuning in
Message 16 of 28
Flag for a moderator

RedGooner.

I have tried the SH3 in modem mode with numerous routers & It makes absolutely zero difference. The SH3 is shocking for gaming on a PS4 Pro.

0 Kudos
JAMSROO7
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Red great advice I have the 2ac what is the best set up to have using PS4 hard wired, and if I was to purchase a router, would it make that much difference to what I’m getting now, as I use the hub2ac and not the puma technology with the 3 thx.
0 Kudos
tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 18 of 28
Flag for a moderator

For those connecting wirelessly turn off smart WiFi and set your channels manually. Seems to make a difference in another thread. 

As to why a wired connection would have slow upload - could be noise on your line so worth checking your stats and a BQM. 

However if you game a lot then as RedGooner has said the Hub3 is poor - single core CPU so if there’s other users in the house then it’s going to affect your gaming at some level. Get a gaming router, set gaming QoS to prioritise your gaming traffic, set a quicker DNS provider etc. 

I recently upgraded to an Asus AC86U 1.8ghz dual core CPU router with gaming QoS and other features like aiprotection set.  I have 2 original PS4s wired plus lots of streaming from various devices with no lag.  I still wish there was a better option than the Hub3, but it would always be in modem mode 

0 Kudos
Lee2
Dialled in
Message 19 of 28
Flag for a moderator

what we need is somebody from virgin to tell us what is causing this issue

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 20 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@Lee2 wrote:

what we need is somebody from virgin to tell us what is causing this issue

There is always the other option, its not a VM issue, its a SONY issue.

But then again I am NOT having the issue.

--
0 Kudos