Menu
Parks84
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

PS4 - VIVID350 - FIFA19 unplayable - Area20

I’ve worked in IT for 20 years so know my way around networks.

I left BT and signed up with VM with my services activated last Friday so I could enjoy super smooth fast gaming..

From my laptop I get 380 down and 20 up - from the PS4 it varies from 60-120down to 2-15 up.

The SH3 is in modem mode connected via Ethernet to my ASUS AC68U which in turn is connected to the internet via a proxy running on my Mac - Squidman.

Using the proxy makes little of no difference.

FIFA19 is unplayable online, I’m usually a div2or3 seasons player - I can’t get out of div9. 

Luckily i am still within the cooling off period with VM so have to time leave if this isn’t fixed.

BT internet was a lot slower but provided smooth latency free(ish) gaming

i have tried everything these forums have suggested.

0 Kudos
Parks84
Tuning in
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 - VIVID350 - FIFA19 unplayable - Area20

Correction

The SH3 is in modem mode connected via Ethernet to my ASUS AC68U

PS4 is connected via cable to ASUS and PS4 is connected to the internet via a proxy running on my Mac - Squidman

using 3rd party DNS

0 Kudos
Static
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM will never be as good as BT for gaming, BT has much lower latency and jitter across their network.
If you’ve joined VM for a smoother gaming experience, I’m afraid you’ve made a mistake.
Highlighted
Parks84
Tuning in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I’m cancelling today as within 14 day cooling off, No one from Virgin has responded to me all morning on here - other reason for cancelling is that TV picture quality even in HD is not as good as BT was.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

You're not going to get a reply from Virgin within 5 hours of posting, the forum team take up to a week to initially respond to new issues on here, but you will get better assistance than you would over the phone once they do.

Now when it comes to the PS4 speed test, it's not accurate and is not to be believed. For me it shows around 80mbps down and 6mbps up yet when downloading a game it can max out my VIVID350 just fine when monitoring the switch port the PS4 is connected to.
It's a pretty commonly known fact that the speed test is horrendous, no idea what Sony did.

Higher bandwidth does not equate to a smoother experience when it comes to latency dependant applications, however in my experience my connection for gaming is as smooth as my TalkTalk Business connection I had prior to moving (in November 2018) was. My ping graph shows it being nicely smooth.

If you haven't already started the cancellation process my recommendation would be to set up a ThinkBroadband BQM graph to monitor the ping quality on your line and perhaps post your Hub downstream, upstream and network log here. As you're in modem mode you can find that by going to http://192.168.100.1 and choosing "Check router status" underneath the login box.
0 Kudos
Parks84
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate the comments but added to the latency issues is the TV picture quality we get, the HD channels aren't as clear and crisp as they should be (i have a 4K tv)

I have done that test you speak off and get an average ping of about 15ms - Ive seen too much evidence of high latency issues and now that Ive experienced them at first hand Im getting out whilst I still can

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Having a 4K TV doesn't make a great deal of difference if the channels aren't broadcast in UHD, but if the same HD channel on Virgin isn't as clear as it is in HD on BT then that's a fault that needs fixing and isn't intended.

The BQM isn't so much of a test as it is something you keep running for a day or so and then take a look at, it's possible you've mistaken me saying ThinkBroadband for meaning their speed test when I actually mean https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality .
If you have had one of those running on your Virgin connection for >= 24 hours and it's been a fairly stable 15ms then that's something you'd have a difficult time beating on a VDSL connection anyway.

Looking for evidence of high latency issues on the internet is always going to result in you further cementing the idea that it's commonplace and to be expected on Virgin because the general rule is that forum topics and comments will only be made by people who have a reason for making them, in this case being unhappy or having problems. People without issues tend not to have any need to discuss the state of their connection.
0 Kudos
Parks84
Tuning in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Parks84
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator