Menu
Solomace
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

PS4 Test internet connections results all over the place...

Hi all, 

I'll try to be brief ;).

So been with sky for years, gaming and downloading/streaming etc. Not many issues. 

Joined Virgin 2 weeks ago on the 100meg package and I'm not sure I've done the right thing and the kids aren't happy. 

My setup - 

1.Hub 3 router in front room.

2. Wifi working great in house and upstairs with my Belkin extender.

3. 2 PS4s, setup up in Garage extention, wired via a long cat cable going all the way from the garage to the hub 3 with a TPL link router in the garage at the other end, giving both wired and wifi connection from the hub in the house. 

4. Slow speed on both Ps4s. If one turns off whilst the other is playing online (Fifa) it has disconnected that person from the game. Same when turning any on and if the other is on and playing, it disconnects the person from the game). 

5. In game lag was so bad today I did some speed tests on both ps4s. Both were showing 80-90 meg download speed (sometimes 50 and 60) but generally high, but the upload speed was at 200k regulary on both. It would go up to 4mg sometimes and stay their for a min or two but back down generally to 200-300k. A test now whilst writing this show on my ps4 as 71mb download and 200k upload. 

6. Doing a speed test on my laptop, wired to the same tp link router as my ps4s, is a constant over 90meg download and 6gig upload. As this is constant, I can only assume this means the connections from the hub to the router in the garage is working fine.

From this I deduce it's got to be the ps4. I don't recall checking the speed that often when with sky as gaming and everything else was fine, but with all the issues I'm now looking at the speed on the ps4 and thinking what gives. 

Now if this has always been the case and the ps4 is based on thier own servers hence a speed test is meaningless, then fair do, but if I need to do something else to get a stable speed, I would be most appreciative. 

Thanks and sorry for long post. 

P.S. I'm based in Yorkshire if that helps 🙂

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: PS4 Test internet connections results all over the place...

WE need to go back to basics on this one.

What does a speed test wired direct to the HUB, with WiFi off and only one device say? Screen-cap it if possible

Are you happy DHCP is switched OFF on the TPLINK garage end?

0 Kudos
Solomace
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi mate, thanks for responding.

I will need to do what you’ve asked tomorrow when I come home from work.

I willswitch off Wi-fi and do a speed test in the garage with 1 PS4 wired. 

Not sure what you mean by am I happy with DCHP switched off in the garage mate? Doesn’t the hub just automatically give out an IP address or am I completely pretending I know what I’m talking about 😉.

One thing I did do when I got the hub, was rename my ssd so it split 2g and 5g as my Alexa and my router and my extenders wouldn’t connect until I did this. Was this right? Could this have an effect as it seems everywhere we go in the house, the deivices seem to switch from 1 Wi-fi name to the other which is annoying. Didn’t have this issue with sky and didn’t need to split anything. TBH I didn’t even know you could or should.

Sorry, rambling again...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Dont do the wired speed-test in the garage- do it straight to the HUB.

As for DHCP switched off, your HUB gives out IP addresses, the TPLINK router should have DHCP switched OFF

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Also do a speed test in the PS4s browser.  The PS4 connection test never seems to give reliable results tbh (or maybe it does - and the PS4 servers are unreliable)

If your speeds are ok then maybe there’s an issue with the setup. I assume both PS4’s are on the same PSN subscription with different user ids and swapped “primary”. Has any of that changed ?

I also assume you’ve not set any port forwarding with 2 PS4s - it would be good if someone using the Hub in router mode could confirm they run 2 PS4s ok. Also confirm that the router in the garage conversion is set to access point mode 

0 Kudos
Solomace
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Morning and thanks again. Will do the checks as you mentioned and will post the results.
0 Kudos
Solomace
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi mate, thanks for responding. I will do a speed test from the PS4 using a web browser.

You're correct about both PS4s being on the same sub with the primary swapped thingy me bob. None of that has changed.

I've not done any port forwarding.

Kids still think I should have stayed with sky 😞
0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Speed testing via the settings panel on the PS4 gives results akin to measuring something with your eyes closed. For example on my console the speed test gives anywhere between 50mbps and 200mbps usually the lower end, and generally around 5-10mbps upload, yet the console can download at 390mbps just fine.

I'd be wary speed testing via the browser, I tested it last night and found that speediest.net hung the browser after the download test, fast.com hung the browser during the download test or got to the upload test and stalled. The SamKnows test seemed to work but still bottlenecked to the same speeds the other tests got for download (I suspect the browser app is rate limited, or perhaps it's single threaded). However during the testing I managed to both out of memory the system, and crash the system entirely to black screen all just by using the browser to speediest, thanks Sony.

As has been mentioned, from your description it sounds like you're running two routers, you'll want to ensure the TP-Link router is in switch/access point mode so that the routing, NAT, and DHCP functionalities are disabled and it acts as a basic switch and wireless access point.
The fact one console being turned off causes the other to lose connection certainly points to a network configuration issue somewhere, and double NAT/UPnP issues is a good starting point to check (which would be caused by the second router acting as a router too.)
0 Kudos
Solomace
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hey mate, thanks for reply and the heads up. 

I'm home in 20 mins so will check on the TP link info. 

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
Solomace
Joining in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi all, 

I've done what you've all suggested and here are my results. 

I also made sure that my link had DCHP disabled and it was in Access mode. 

Tests using various speed tests in the front room direct from hub -

Laptop - All steady at 90+ download and 6meg uploads on 3 speed tests. 

PS4 direct to hub and using a web browser -  Ping was high at 395, with 70meg DL and 5meg upload. 

Another speed test on PS4 showed - Ping - 155, with 80meg DL and 5 meg upload. 

Back to garage -

Laptop - 100 ping with 93 meg DL and 5.7meg upload. 

PS4 using web browser - 641 ping - 84 meg DL and 5.5meg upload.

Another test on PS4 using another tester - 120 ping - 78meg DL and 5.7 upload.

Soooooo.... What does this all mean. Well I think it shows me not to trust the PS4 speed checker first of all (thanks for that tip) but otherwise I think Im happy with the results both in the house and the garage. 

I need to wait until later to see what it's like when the kids are streaming and my son and I are Ps4ing, but I'm hopeful that it's all working now. 

I'd like to thank you all for responding and you're suggestions. 

Good work. 

Frank.

0 Kudos