Menu
jesterkris
Joining in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Overwatch lag spikes

Hey, 

Over the last few weeks I have been getting a lot of issues with my broadband. It originally died completely and I was supposed to get an engineer but I cancelled this as the connection came back up a few hours later but it has been incredibly unstable since. One of my biggest issues are lag spikes while playing overwatch, it will jump from 30 (it's normal) to over 100 and then straight back to 30 again and this will happen constantly throughout the match. I will attach my upstream/downstream stats! I am on wireless and the superhub is currently on modem mode, I have ac wireless devices and have had zero issues with this since I got it around 2 years ago. 

Let me know if there is anything else you need.

Thanks in advance,

Krisdown.PNGup.PNG

0 Kudos
legacy1
Legend
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Overwatch lag spikes

Your downstream power is low but may be stable (but someone could make them better) setup a BQM to see if its causing a problem.
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

If any device does a short download or upload that can cause a spike even if your power level were fine. If you have your own router you may wish to setup QoS.

0 Kudos
jesterkris
Joining in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I have set up a monitor as suggested. I do have my own router, will look at my QoS settings too although nothing has changed in my house since the problems started so not sure if that is the problem!

Might also be worth mentioning that the issues really started to get bad when there was (and still is) a lot of work going on outside my house as the council are resurfacing the footpaths. Not sure if that's coincidence or not, but they have dug up half the street so maybe that has caused something to go wrong.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi jesetkris,

In all fairness I don't think your issues are specifically linked to either wireless or your game.
My tests show a number of T3 timeouts along with very low downstream power levels. This could be due to a faulty Hub or something local to your connection. I'd like to arrange for an engineer to take a look. So please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll book an appointment for you.

Keep us updated Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
jesterkris
Joining in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hey, 

I'd like to reopen this issue, same problem is happening again now for about 4/5 days. I had the engineer with the new hub and it was working fine since then but now it's back to constant spikes ranging from 34 to 150+ during games at all times during the day. I'd like some more assistance!

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

hi @jesterkris
If you post your hub stats again hopefully someone who is a bit more knowledgeable around power levels etc... would be able to confirm, however to me it sounds a little like its probably the Intel Puma6 chipset issue, prior to your original issue were you using something like the SuperHub2AC? and the newer hub is the SuperHub3?
0 Kudos
jesterkris
Joining in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hey, 

Yeah, I'll get some new stats and post them up. And yeah, old one was SuperHub2AC and the new one is the 3. But it's in modem mode, same as before and I am using my own router if that makes any difference?

0 Kudos
jesterkris
Joining in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hello jesterkris

I am sorry you are noticing lag again however the connection is looking good and area data shows no problems. Earlier on in OP you mentioned that you were using wireless. Wireless may not be the best medium for gaming and may introducing lag by its very nature, is it worth trying an Ethernet connection perhaps.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
wetdogsmells
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I am also having the same issues since moving over to VM broadband, at first I thought this was an overwatch problem and had a lengthy discussion with blizzard over it only to realise after moving on to other games when the issues became severe it was ISP related.

These spikes are regular have a large impact on any game played but no impact on general usage browsing,streaming etc 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/cfcad3667e31ee73492865187d958aa256...

0 Kudos