cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On-going lag spikes whilst gaming.

96fauj
Dialled in

I've been having issues with my hub3 200mb connection recently. I get random lag spikes whilst gaming. I have contacted virgin media and they said they are putting my connection under monitor and would contact me straight away when they observed any issues. 

The hub is in router mode as it's required for them to monitor but I'm still having the random lag spikes and nothing seems to be solved as of yet. I made a post not long ago and we setup a thinkbroadband monitor which didn't really show anything on it. 

I've attached router logs as suggested on other posts.

What are my next steps?

My Broadband Ping - Hub 4 - November - New IP BQM
82 REPLIES 82

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

hI 96Fauj, 

Thanks for your post and I am sorry to hear you have not had the best service, and the tech visit didn't help, I have checked your account and there are not issues.

if you could reboot as I see you have not done one in a while we can recheck your stats and power levels to see what's going on 

Zoie

Hi, I've gone ahead and given it a restart.

Hi 96fauj

Thanks for that reboot 

Just checked now and everything is in range 

Can you see how it is over today please 

Especially later when you have mentioned it gets worse 

Gareth_L

Hi guys thanks for getting back to me and continuously trying to help. My ping is still hovering around the 95-100 mark in-game as before it would be around 60-75. The bqm looks healthier but I'm guessing that's because nobody is working from hold at home over the weekend. I think this issue is a local area network issue, too many people working from home (like myself) running continuous google meets etc.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @96fauj

Again I can't see any issues whatsoever with the hub / network. Is this via WiFi when you experience these lag spikes or via ethernet connection too? Do you have many devices connected?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

It's over Cat6 ethernet. I have about 2-3 mobile phones connected and my own machine that's it. Also today something strange happened and my ping went from the usual high 90-100 to 200-240. I'm not sure that's an isolated thing, I restart my modem after this.

Sundays snapshot

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/6232a86c4acddae3fdb73f859da7da038f3cbf9b-04-07-2021

Yesterdays snapshot (Monday)

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a97ae2a9ffceafee781f445b6541ce21b3b4b725-05-07-2021

Todays snapshot:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/86a0143a68fdd323cc82f1643a3360e33a...

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @96fauj 

Thank you for coming back to us.

I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing some issues with your services. 

I have checked the network from here and there is nothing to report regarding this. However your BQM isn't grate,  I am going to email the AFM and ask him to follow up with this. 

Whilst I do so, I am sure that you have done this before, but can you check the connections to the hub and out of interest do you have an  Attenuator attached? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Thanks for your quick response, I've just had another look at my connections to the modem and to the computer. Note, I've just recently had an engineer visit where by he had replaced the wallbox and apparently some wiring on the brown box outside.

No attenuator.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for doing that, 

I have now emailed the AFM and await there update and advise. 

As soon as I have any further information I will let you know.

Kind regards,

Zak_M