Menu
finhind
Joining in
Message 1 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Nintendo Switch NAT Type F - Superhub 2ac

Hi I got the new Smash Bros game for my Switch and often get an error when connecting to online (once I am in there is no lag or issues, it's just when I'm trying to get in). My NAT Type is F which I've googled and this seems to be really bad. Sometimes it goes up to D momentarily when testing.

We got this Superhub 2ac only 1 or 2 years ago, and is this an issue with the router? Tried port forwarding 1-65000 and 45000-65000, enabling DMZ, changing Switch IP address, nothing! This is all the Nintendo official advice and all I can find on the Internet, I'm running out of solutions and it's frustrating!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nintendo Switch NAT Type F - Superhub 2ac

you could use the hub in modem mode and get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports.

0 Kudos
jmullin
Tuning in
Message 3 of 35
Flag for a moderator

I have the exact same issue and have had NO help from Virgin Media staff on the many times I have called. I have seen some online have had this issue fixed by getting a Superhub 3 instead, as Virgin are able to fix the issue but will charge for the service through their Gadgets Helpdesk. £20 setup fee + £5 month minimum 6 month obligation. 

It is frustrating that the ISP is refusing to provide a solid internet connection. If not resolved immediately I will gladly move to another provider 

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 35
Flag for a moderator

@jmullin wrote:

I have the exact same issue and have had NO help from Virgin Media staff on the many times I have called. I have seen some online have had this issue fixed by getting a Superhub 3 instead, as Virgin are able to fix the issue but will charge for the service through their Gadgets Helpdesk. £20 setup fee + £5 month minimum 6 month obligation. 

It is frustrating that the ISP is refusing to provide a solid internet connection. If not resolved immediately I will gladly move to another provider 

Having NAT issues isn't down to the ISP, and nintendo advising people to port forward literally every single port to the switch is terrible networking advice to begin with, ther eisn't much VM staff can do to help you when you're trying to use a 3rd party app, they just provide the internet connection and the fact that its seeing that there is a NAT means the connection itself seems to be working, this isn't nintendo tech support Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 35
Flag for a moderator

@finhind wrote:

Hi I got the new Smash Bros game for my Switch and often get an error when connecting to online (once I am in there is no lag or issues, it's just when I'm trying to get in). My NAT Type is F which I've googled and this seems to be really bad. Sometimes it goes up to D momentarily when testing.

We got this Superhub 2ac only 1 or 2 years ago, and is this an issue with the router? Tried port forwarding 1-65000 and 45000-65000, enabling DMZ, changing Switch IP address, nothing! This is all the Nintendo official advice and all I can find on the Internet, I'm running out of solutions and it's frustrating!

The fact that Nintendo don't have "NAT Type F" in any of their support pages is a bit distressing.  The fact that they recommend what you have done with DMZ/Port forwarding is something that they should be ashamed of.

Anyhow..

You shouldn't put the Switch into DMZ, Nor should you try forwarding every port to it.   It's a device with poor/no security at all so lets not expose it to the full force of the internet.

As long as your not in the IPv6 Trial, or Northern Ireland, then UPnP/UPnP should be all that's needed.  If you have rules set up in port forwarding or port triggering then you should delete those. **My 2ac is faulty and DOES NOT show some of the port forwarding rules I have set up, So when your in http://192.168.0.1/VmRgPortForwarding.html you should restore defaults even if no port forwarding rules are shown!**

I would also go to DHCP/DHCP Reservations and add reservation.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.

I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 6 of 35
Flag for a moderator

@VMCopperUser wrote:

<SNIP As long as your not in the IPv6 Trial, or Northern Ireland, then UPnP/UPnP should be all that's needed.<snip>

I'm curious why UPnP would not work in Northern Ireland ?  Is this a legacy hangover from NTL ?

0 Kudos
jmullin
Tuning in
Message 7 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your input. In my case I am in Northern Ireland, what would you suggest is the best course of action?

Much appreciated 

0 Kudos
jmullin
Tuning in
Message 8 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help Shane, apologies my knowledge in this field is limited to say the least. What I do not understand especially is how people in the same situation have found success simply by changing to a newer router, does this not suggest there is something wrong with the superhub 2ac? 

0 Kudos
Boosh
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 35
Flag for a moderator

I had this same problem fella.... It's a router issue, just explain to them that the router is faulty and needs replacing, otherwise they'll just try to fob you off to the gadget recovery company who will want to charge you £50-60 over a 6 month charge.

Virgin don't deal with the Superhub 2 anymore so they'll send you the SH3

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 35
Flag for a moderator

@shanematthews wrote:

Having NAT issues isn't down to the ISP

it is in router mode.

0 Kudos