Menu
STANNY08
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New customer gaming issues

So after a couple of weeks on my new Virgin connection I'm regretting the switch from sky. My sky connection was great, and reliable, but limited to about 60Mb, gaming was perfect though. Having seen an offer for 100Mb from Virgin for a couple of quid more, I went for it. I'm greedy.

I activated it a couple of weeks ago and all seemed well until I started to play some Xbox last week. Playing FIFA I have not had one smooth game since, playing most evenings. The connection indicator prior to each match never shows full green bars, and there is regular stutters and freezes throughout every match. 

It seems I should have done some research prior to the switch as i now read there are people on here who have been suffering with poor connections for years. 

0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) Ty_S
Moderator (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New customer gaming issues

Hi STANNY08

Welcome to the community and I'm sorry to hear of the online issues you've been having.  Is your Xbox connected wired or wireless? 

Thanks 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
STANNY08
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wired. Always wired. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello STANNY08, 

Thanks for keeping in touch 🙂

Sorry again for the connection problems. Does this fault only affect Fifa or other games? If it's only Fifa then we might need to look into enabling access to certain ports to improve game play. 

hope to hear back from you soon, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Dogbert
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I joined up 2 weeks ago from sky also, It seems virgin has high bandwidth but with it comes higher latency, I managed to get the latest firmware (v9.1.116.608) eventually for the Hub 3 that fixes a lag spike issue, but my ping is much higher in games than it ever was with sky. 

My ping is consistent with other virgin customers I play with but much higher than my sky ping was (about double on average), i think it's a trade off you might have to live with, might improve a bit if you manage to get latest firmware if you don't already, a 30 second pin hole reset worked on mine after about a week of being connected. 

0 Kudos
STANNY08
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've only played FIFA so far, I'll try some other games this week and report back. 

0 Kudos
STANNY08
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply . 

My hub came with the 608 firmware already installed. 

I've tried a couple of resets, bit I'll try a couple more. 

Unfortunately though, it's not a trade off I'm willing to make. Fast download speeds really are great but if gaming is spoiled then I'd rather have the shower l slower but still reasonable speeds from sky. 

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you're having stutters and freezes that's most certainly not just a thing that comes with having a Virgin line, that's a fault or an issue somewhere.
Freezes wouldn't be happening if your ping was just the ~10ms higher you'd likely expect from switching from a VDSL line to Virgin (10ms being imperceptible), a freeze likely indicates either extremely bad jitter in the area of multiple hundreds of milliseconds, or packet loss. Both of which are a sign of a fault.
0 Kudos