cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Broadband account

mickymannis
Tuning in

I just signed up for a new broadband account with the Gig1 package. When I was on the phone ordering the sales woman told me that  Virgin will be out to take out the copper line that is running to my new place and put in a fibre line but I haven't heard anymore about it does anyone know what the process is? Plus I asked for £62 a month do I get the Hub 5 and she said no problem but on my paperwork it meations the Hub 4 what is the score with that?? Let me know please??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks again for the good advice one last quuery if you can??  I have 16 alexa devices 2 mac book pros 3 iPhone and 4 ip cameras do I need the gig1 package to run all of that or would a lesser one do if so what do you suggest? 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

That_E90_Guy
Up to speed

If you are in an HFC (coax) area of the virgin network then it will be a coax cable to your house. If you are in a FTTP area of the virgin network then it will be a fibre cable to your property which will terminate to a box on your property, from which coax cable will go internally to your router. If you are in a HFC area then no, virgin will not replace it for a fibre cable. As for the hub 5, unlikely as its not yet available for general release. Sounds like virgin have hooked you in with false promises, classic virgin. 

Thanks for the reply That_E90_Guy I knew that sales woman was spinning me a yarn but clear something up for me if you can I'm taking over a premises from my daughter who has the Hub 4 and Gig1 package with TV Which costs her £90 a month but she only gets 480 mbps not the 1000mbps that she pays for and that's why I asked if I take  new contract on at the 1 Gig to get that speed would I not need the FTTP cable ( on a sneeky note I recorded the conversation and she states numerous times that I will get a new fibre line and a hub 5 for £62 a month) how do I stand?? 

Im assuming your daughter was testing the speed over wifi? If so then you will never get 1gb over wifi, the most you will see on a hub 4 over wifi is around 600meg on a suitable device. Hardwired connection to a pc or laptop with the correct network card should see speeds around 940meg. Hub 5 in theory should give better wireless speeds due to having wifi 6, but its still a poor router built down to a cost. In regards to HFC vs FTTP there is no differnce in speed performence or anything, FTTP is just cheaper for virgin to install. And its not true FTTP as it still uses coax internally. As for having the recording, thats good, but its not possible to replace an HFC connection with FTTP as the network is built differently. My advice would be go for it, but cancel within the 14 day colling off period if your not happy. 

Thanks again for the good advice one last quuery if you can??  I have 16 alexa devices 2 mac book pros 3 iPhone and 4 ip cameras do I need the gig1 package to run all of that or would a lesser one do if so what do you suggest? 

Personally i would say 200meg would be fine. 

That_E90_Guy thanks very much for the great advice I have seen the Hub 4 in operation and I don’t think it’s worth the £62 a month price tag so if they are not going to keep to their word and give me a Hub 5 and since you think the fibre upgrade isn’t needed the 200mbps package might just do I think I will cancel before the 14 days and take my business elsewhere (I take it Virgin are known for spoofing going by your comment before lol) So once again thank you very much you’ve helped me more than anyone else has lately 

No problem, glad I could help. My views come from working for virgin as an install tech for 5 years up until january this year. I know how virgin operate, and i have a good understanding of the industry and what speeds people really need. If your downloading massive files (xbox games, films, large files) everyday then yes go for 1gb. If your just an average user, ie phones, laptops, smart devices etc, then it will just be a waste and you wont be fully utilising it. The chase for the high speeds is just marketing rubbish, 99% of people dont need it, they just think they want it because its a big number.

mickymannis
Tuning in

My Virgin Media start date is today but I haven't got any Hub 5 delivered plus there is no box on the out side wall to plug anything I to!! WHAT is going on Virgin Media 

Hi mickymannis. On our thread a few weeks ago I thought you were taking over your daughters premise that already had a live connection?