Menu
PhillipM
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Massive lag spikes, Sheffield area

Been having this on and off for a week now, the first time it went away after doing a service check, it said it found and issue and it'd be fixed in 10 minutes - it was fine for a while after that.

However, the past two days it's back with a vengance, 500ms+ spikes every 10 seconds or so, it's making it impossible to game or even use voice comms from the distortion, I've reset and rebooted everything on my end, no difference, and the signal levels are perfect.

0 Kudos
PhillipM
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Massive lag spikes, Sheffield area

This has come back again this week, awful ping spikes, I can barely hear anyone in Discord.
0 Kudos
PhillipM
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Seems mainly to be to US servers - for example if I talk to someone on Discord from the US every time they talk it does this to my ping....

image.png

0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) John_G
Moderator (Retired)
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi PhillipM,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your latency. I would suggest setting up a BQM graph at thinkbroadband.com and posting the results here after 24 hours. 

Is it only certain servers/games you have this trouble with?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
PhillipM
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It always seems to be if connected to north american servers - be that games, voice comms, etc - everything else is fine, some sort of weird routing issue perhaps?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/70397e98e0a2686ab8fd3892666cec14

70397e98e0a2686ab8fd3892666cec14.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi PhillipM,

Thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to see you have had trouble with your connection.

I have taken a look and things seem to be ok from this side.

Are you having any trouble with any other games or devices? 

Keep us posted. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
PhillipM
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No, seems to be mainly Discord and games hosted on NA servers only.
0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) Ralph_R
Moderator (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've checked your connection again from this end and both Hub and local circuit report back in good shape, with no apparent issues to explain any latency or lag (as borne out be your BQM).

Is your gaming connection wired or wireless, we'd always recommend wired for gaming where possible.

It may be helpful if you could post up a traceroute to one of the problem game servers to see if this highlights anything.

Kind rgds

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos