Menu
Braddles
Joining in
Message 21 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Major ping, everything unplayable.. Please help!

I’m in KT15 too. Can’t play any game properly and the other half can’t stream anything. 

0 Kudos
toms88
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@Braddles wrote:

I’m in KT15 too. Can’t play any game properly and the other half can’t stream anything. 

Have you posted here? Im KT15 as well.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/High-latency-to-european-servers/td-p/3744446

0 Kudos
Braddles
Joining in
Message 23 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I have now. 

0 Kudos
Pasbags
Dialled in
Message 24 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Posting here as well same issues in Chertsey Surrey KT16 area 20 started Thursday afternoon hasn't got better since, phone support was about as useful as a chocolate tea pot but that's nothing new.

Seriously hope someone with half a brain at virgin is actually going to listen to what we are telling them down the phone and look into it

Having to use a VPN just to game and use my phone as a hotspot for streaming    

0 Kudos
mrposh
Joining in
Message 25 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi guys, I'm area 20 (surrey) and have had similar issues since, probably Thursday last week.

However, touch-wood, I 'THINK' it has got better this evening.  I have tried so many things but it's been relatively stable this evening.  One test I have done that I think proves the issue is running:

ping www.google.com -l 1024 -f -t

This used to return over 1000 response time which is terrible.  At the moment it's under 20.  If you try running a standard speed test then it shows no sign of issues, I found, as the ping packet size is small enough to hide the problem.

I have had terrible experience with calling Virgin for support.  Took 20 minutes to get through and first they said that I could swap back to the old modem/router so put me through to technical.  Then technical said that they couldn't do it at all and that customer services were telling me lies, they then said that they'd transfer me back - after another 20 minutes gave up.  Called back the next day, they said a manager would call me back in 15 minutes.  Never did.  Called back today, they hung up on me after 5 minutes!  Useless.

Fingers crossed the issue is now over.  I will for sure be asking for a refund for this month's bill.

0 Kudos
nevstauk
Tuning in
Message 26 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I don't think it's a old/new router issue I'm using the old 2ac and have even factory reset it,makes no difference. I've had a few good hours here ànd there,then it goes  south again.

0 Kudos
benegham
Settling in
Message 27 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Same for me, probable just over a week. In the TW20 area of Surrey. Had the engineer out for a different problem, I now run decent speeds of 100 meg plus, but as soon as I play games I ping 1000+

0 Kudos
Snookieboy
On our wavelength
Message 28 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I'm so glad I found this thread (from Twitter no less), everyone in Surrey is reporting it but no one at Virgin Media cares.

I'm in Surrey to, KT16 (Chertsey).

Ever Since Thursday the internet has been unusable just like everyone else. Fortnite is pulling a ping back of 1300ms to the EU Data Centre. I'm a massive Destiny player and it's impossible to play, as soon as you go anywhere and spawn in other players don't show up and you get kicked back to orbit within a minute.

I phoned the lovely Offshore Virgin Media support who wasted over an hour on the phone telling me my connection was fine, blamed my Router (made me turn off Modem mode) etc and kept saying it was fine. Nothing worked.

I got an engineer due Friday, but it sounds like it will be no use as its clearly an area issue. 

It happens pretty much every evening, from around 5pm till 11:30pm.

For all of those who reported it to Virgin, under Ofcom rules Virgin owe £8 per day of service down after the 2nd day of reporting it, so make sure to cash in big time when this is over as if reported on Thursday, it's now Day 7 (5 days of £8 due). Reach out to everyone you know in Surrey to keep complaining until Virgin take this seriously.

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 29 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@Snookieboy wrote:

For all of those who reported it to Virgin, under Ofcom rules Virgin owe £8 per day of service down after the 2nd day of reporting it, so make sure to cash in big time when this is over as if reported on Thursday, it's now Day 7 (5 days of £8 due). Reach out to everyone you know in Surrey to keep complaining until Virgin take this seriously.

The Ofcom broadband compensation scheme comes into effect from next year and you will be entitled to £8 for each day of complete loss of service. As this isn't a complete loss of service, and the scheme is not yet active, I think you will struggle to get £8/day worth of compensation. They will probably offer something as a goodwill gesture.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
mrposh
Joining in
Message 30 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I just spent 30 minutes on the phone to them - they tried tweaking all sorts of settings but nothing made any difference.  I had to reiterate to them over and over that it wasn't an issue with download/upload speed, very frustrating.  Anyway, they assured me that they now understand that there is an issue, that many people are experiencing it and that they have assigned engineers to investigate it and resolve it ASAP.  So I will call back after 7 days if the issue continues.  For now though I am using Nord VPN which dramatically improves the ping.  Goes from around 300 to under 20 so I advise you do the same.  You could even get a trial one for the time being and so avoid paying out any $$$ due to Virgin's incompetence.

0 Kudos