Menu
CursedLemon
Tuning in
Message 11 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latest Reponse from Virgin RE: .608

@Munkey

What issues are you experiencing since the update that you were not experiencing before? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 12 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Get this right, there are NO VM techs in India, they work to a script, and cant think for themselves if they need to go off script.

Most are an embarrassment, and i bet they dont work for VM, they work for a sub contractor in a BIG call center, owned by a company that put in the cheapest tender to VM.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 13 of 38
Flag for a moderator

In reply to the chap who was having issues since the .608 update, you would be in the minority of people having problems, I've experienced nothing but better service FROM THE MODEM (I also run it in modem and run a separate router and can HIGHLY recommend doing this) but the VM network side still has its moments.

Alot of people don't seem to understand bufferbloat or how to negate it, but that can make a pretty substantial difference, VM have one of the better bufferbloats in the UK ISP marketplace according to DSLReports, but the variance in whether you get a good or bad service is SO hit or miss its kinda hard to believe.

Sky, Vodafone and BT all prioritise gaming networking traffic so if you want to game they're the best ISPs to do it on, but I wouldn't expect much better CS from them if anything goes wrong!
0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 14 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Sky, Vodafone and BT don't mention prioritising gaming in the KFI information they're obliged to publish, which must specify any kind of prioritisation of certain traffic they enforce. Their networks are simply better for gaming, VDSL beats DOCSIS when it comes to latency and jitter.

https://www.sky.com/shop/terms-conditions/broadband/network-management-policy/

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/public/documents/webcontent/pdf_broadband_and_talk.pdf

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47278/~/bts-approach-to-broadband-traffic-management

0 Kudos
zarf2007
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 38
Flag for a moderator

still no update.....

0 Kudos
SirDaVamp
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Zarf, do you have the 350 vivid?

0 Kudos
zarf2007
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 38
Flag for a moderator

@SirDaVamp wrote:

Yes

0 Kudos
SirDaVamp
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 38
Flag for a moderator

@zarf2007 wrote:

@SirDaVamp wrote:

Yes

I called virgin the first 2 people had no idea what I was talking about. The 3rd told me he would send an engineer to look at it and update the firmware. He came, replaced my hub3 with a newer hub 3. He said he can't update any firmware and wasn't sure why the guy on the phone said so. He told me to call virgin tech and they would do it. I called them, the tech guy wasn't even aware of the issue. He told me at first I have the latest update, upon explaining to him the situation, since he thought latest hub3 not software. He spoke with his supervisor and we ended up nowhere. Last guy told me 350 vivid will most likely give you the update too since the majority of 350 users have it. We changed my broadband last night to 350, I'm waiting to go go home and check it.

Even tho checking my latency here seems to be worse than before.

Screenshot_20181025-085406_Chrome.jpg

0 Kudos
zarf2007
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 38
Flag for a moderator

@SirDaVamp wrote:

@zarf2007 wrote:

@SirDaVamp wrote:

Yes

I called virgin the first 2 people had no idea what I was talking about. The 3rd told me he would send an engineer to look at it and update the firmware. He came, replaced my hub3 with a newer hub 3. He said he can't update any firmware and wasn't sure why the guy on the phone said so. He told me to call virgin tech and they would do it. I called them, the tech guy wasn't even aware of the issue. He told me at first I have the latest update, upon explaining to him the situation, since he thought latest hub3 not software. He spoke with his supervisor and we ended up nowhere. Last guy told me 350 vivid will most likely give you the update too since the majority of 350 users have it. We changed my broadband last night to 350, I'm waiting to go go home and check it.

yes all VM support staff are clueless about this, I also had my router replaced which still had old firmware and no update. I have been on 350 since installation so this does not guarantee it. I guess we just have to keep waiting until they decide to roll it out. A great way to treat your highest paying customers which is why they will likely be dumped come end of contract.

0 Kudos
SirDaVamp
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 38
Flag for a moderator

@zarf2007 wrote:

@SirDaVamp wrote:

@zarf2007 wrote:

@SirDaVamp wrote:

Yes

yes all VM support staff are clueless about this, I also had my router replaced which still had old firmware and no update. I have been on 350 since installation so this does not guarantee it. I guess we just have to keep waiting until they decide to roll it out. A great way to treat your highest paying customers which is why they will likely be dumped come end of contract.

Thankfully my new contract started 12 days ago. I've got 2 days till the 14day window ends. I'll check for the update when I'm home if not, I'll have to change ISP.

0 Kudos