Menu
Highlighted
Dougs71
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Latency through the roof (even for a hub 3.0)

This is the BQM of my internet connection at the minute:

I've checked my router (a NETDUMA R1... the hub 3.0 is in modem mode), and nothing is downloading or uploading. What is causing that horrendous lag? Is it a network issue? According to the service status page everything is okay and the equipment test went okay too.

Gaming obviously impossible ATM.

0 Kudos
Dougs71
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency through the roof (even for a hub 3.0)

image.png

Is this an issue at the first hop (nrth-core....)?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can you post your upstream and downstream power levels..

Go to 192.168.0.1

Do NOT LOG IN- Click router status

hub31.jpg

And post Downstream and Upstream levels..

shub32.png

0 Kudos
legacy1
Legend
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The hub 3 issue a side it does look like you might be downloading or uploading you don't know about... can you change the NETDUMA R1 MAC and is the QoS on?

0 Kudos
unluckyWisp
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Overutilization is getting worse parabolic in Surrey area. I've already arranged BT installation. This is not gonna end up well for VM customers i'm afraid.

Friday is the worst, the graph below is from 12/01.

My Broadband Ping - VM Stability KT6 200M MM

This is how it looked on 05/01 a week before.

My Broadband Ping - VM Stability KT6 200M MM

0 Kudos
unluckyWisp
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

wanted to share my graphs but my post got deleted. seems like more investment goes into censoring evidence of betrayed customers than the overloaded infrastructure.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

unluckyWisp wrote:

wanted to share my graphs but my post got deleted. seems like more investment goes into censoring evidence of betrayed customers than the overloaded infrastructure.

Umm yeah takes someone to approve them before they can be seen. Not censorship, just a smart precaution in today's world.  BTW they are approved and publicly visible.

But hey , if it fits your narrative to believe its censorship instead of reading the house rules, knock yourself out....

0 Kudos
Sky_Lord
Up to speed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I’m sorry to say you will not fix this at all. The Hub 3.0 is flawed hardware, it uses a Puma 6 chipset that several other routers use and it causes massive lag that Intel have been unable to fix nearly 18 months on. If you put the Hub 3 into modem mode it’s even worse.

Just type it into google Virgin Hub 3 latency issues and you will see all the news articles on this problem. Virgin won’t acknowledge it on its own forum despite a thread on here running at some 279 pages of this very issue. Virgin did acknowledge it to the press but are waiting for the fix from Intel who have basically confirmed they can’t fix it as it’s a hardware fault.

I’m sorry to say you’re stuck with it unless you can get a Hub 2. I upgraded to the Hub 3 and after a week I reconnected my Hub 2 once I had seen how bad the lag is, I installed it myself which was a blessing as the engineers would have taken the Hub 2 away and you cannot get them anymore.

Virgin need a Hub 4 and quickly. They stopped selling the ‘gamer’ package which insisted on the Hub 3 after these issues came to light.

Woeful.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Well-informed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sky_Lord, you're right that the Hub 3 is faulty.  But I think the posted BQM show something different to the core Hub 3 problems.  A Hub 3 has generally low average latency around 25-30ms, and just the regular spiking, so the chart unluckyWisp posted for 05/01, the bit between 12am and 10am, that's the Hub 3.  The appalling deterioration in average latency elsewhere, that's something different.  It might be a fault with the Hub, but it isn't the Puma 6 design that's causing the unluckyWisp's largest problems, and I'm guessing a network or line fault, power levels, or over-subscription are potential causes.

The good news is for unluckyWisp is that VM might be able to solve those sorts of problems, whereas they aren't going to come up with a fix for the Hub 3/Puma 6 issues (at best a sticking plaster firmware bodge).  They've had over a year to source a replacement non-Intel cable modem, which they could have bought off the shelf from the same people that make the Hub 3, but they decided not to.  Verminmedia know that the Hub 3 is a pile of crap for some uses, but they don't care, the management view is that's our problem not theirs.

0 Kudos