cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency and lag started today.

mirella75
On our wavelength

Hi,

Been having lag spikes in games and now overall. Wondering if you can look into this for me? 

Attached is my current BQM and router info.

Thanks in advance for any help received.

17/08/2022 18:48:15noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2022 06:59:30criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2022 06:58:17criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2022 06:55:2criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2022 06:54:59Warning!Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
14/08/2022 17:32:43criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
14/08/2022 15:49:41noticeDHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-bbt022+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
14/08/2022 15:49:41ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
12/08/2022 13:35:0criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

bqm.jpgvivaldi_17_08_2022_20-24-26.pngvivaldi_17_08_2022_20-24-19.pngvivaldi_17_08_2022_20-23-59.pngvivaldi_17_08_2022_20-18-46.pngvivaldi_17_08_2022_20-18-32.png

17 REPLIES 17

Aha, I completely agree! 😛

Let us know how your tech visit goes!

And there we are, around 10pm last night everything was back to normal(-ish). This morning just before 9am it started again.

Looks like I need to become nocturnal to play games 🙂 Here's hoping they can figure this out on Saturday.

vivaldi_19_08_2022_10-23-51.png

UPDATE:

Hmmm... Engineer didn't turn up as they hadn't been booked it seems even though we received a text message saying they would attend between 12-4pm.

Rang 150 at 3.30pm to be told we have an 'outage' in our area, which is causing performance problems. Which I guess means "oversubscribed" and trying to fix it? The telephone number that @newapollo suggested I rang to hear the same message about a "complex problem" that would take longer to fix.

So in lieu of the failed appointment I said I'd like to have my end of the network checked, especially the router as the graph is still horrible from 8am-ish to 10pm-ish (does everyone stop browsing the web around that time at exactly that time of night?) I still have latency problems after 10pm as well but not as excessive as during the day.

So another appointment booked for Tuesday the 23rd now and here's hoping that will be honoured.

Maybe a Virgin forum member may be able to give more advice on this matter here please? Or at least some help towards showing that the problem will get resolved in the future.

@mirella75 wrote:

UPDATE:

Hmmm... Engineer didn't turn up as they hadn't been booked it seems even though we received a text message saying they would attend between 12-4pm.

Rang 150 at 3.30pm to be told we have an 'outage' in our area, which is causing performance problems. Which I guess means "oversubscribed" and trying to fix it? The telephone number that @newapollo suggested I rang to hear the same message about a "complex problem" that would take longer to fix.

So in lieu of the failed appointment I said I'd like to have my end of the network checked, especially the router as the graph is still horrible from 8am-ish to 10pm-ish (does everyone stop browsing the web around that time at exactly that time of night?) I still have latency problems after 10pm as well but not as excessive as during the day.

So another appointment booked for Tuesday the 23rd now and here's hoping that will be honoured.

Maybe a Virgin forum member may be able to give more advice on this matter here please? Or at least some help towards showing that the problem will get resolved in the future.

Now although VM will probably argue it, if you had a confirmed technician booking, for which you waited in for, then you are entitled to compensation for a missed appointment (£25 or so) unless, of course they notified you more than 24 hours in advance that it would be cancelled - they did notify you, didn't they?

If it is an oversubscription issue then there really isn't a 'fix' as such - it's a bit like a congested road, there's nothing wrong with the road itself, no amount of resurfacing will fix it, you just need 'more road' - and that can be hideously expensive and sometimes not ever realistically feasible!

Just for your own peace of mind, you might want to start looking at alternative providers.

mirella75
On our wavelength

No, they didn't cancel 24 hours beforehand. As far as the person I spoke to on 150 said it hadn't been booked at all...but erm, what about the text message? Confusion reigns.

Sad that we may have to go back to 3.5mbps at our house, we did like the speeds no doubt with Virgin, that's one thing that did work consistently, but with all the packet drops and latency it's impossible to game as I want to. No other company I've been able to find will provide us with cable at the moment sadly.

I will wait out for the 26th August date and keep my BQM records and see if things ever improve. If they don't then we will have to consider moving on from Virgin unfortunately.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @mirella75

If there is a known issue or outage then VM systems automatically cancel any booked tech visits.  Keep an eye on the appointments  in My Virgin Media, and also keep checking the automated status number I posted 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

UPDATE:

Thankfully an engineer visited this morning to come and look at the issues we were having. They weren't sure why they had been called out as they could see that there was an area-wide problem which was still under investigation (as mentioned previously.)

But... they found that part of the installation had been done incorrectly and then tested the line between my house and the cabinet in our street. Another problem found as it was connected into the wrong (distance) cable. Then after finding that the cabinet wasn't pushing out enough signal (I think that's what they were saying) they sent another engineer out to work on that at the cabinet after they had finished at our house.

The engineer was friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough for us.

No more dropped packets as of today (a few but nothing like it has been) and it seems a bit more stable. I think once the area problem has been resolved it may improve more. Here' s hoping!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @mirella75 

Thanks for the update,

Fingers crossed all is well or better going forward, if not flag up your issue again.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali