cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency and lag started today.

mirella75
On our wavelength

Hi,

Been having lag spikes in games and now overall. Wondering if you can look into this for me? 

Attached is my current BQM and router info.

Thanks in advance for any help received.

17/08/2022 18:48:15noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2022 06:59:30criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2022 06:58:17criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2022 06:55:2criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2022 06:54:59Warning!Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
14/08/2022 17:32:43criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
14/08/2022 15:49:41noticeDHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-bbt022+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
14/08/2022 15:49:41ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
12/08/2022 13:35:0criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

bqm.jpgvivaldi_17_08_2022_20-24-26.pngvivaldi_17_08_2022_20-24-19.pngvivaldi_17_08_2022_20-23-59.pngvivaldi_17_08_2022_20-18-46.pngvivaldi_17_08_2022_20-18-32.png

17 REPLIES 17

mirella75
On our wavelength

Further BQM information after a test run through your site which seemed to solve the problem until this morning. vivaldi_18_08_2022_10-52-03.png

So,

although you have a few "Less than ideal" errors in your log:

16/08/2022 06:58:17criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2022 06:55:2criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2022 06:54:59Warning!Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

This doesn't seem to be the main issue,

It looks like a typical overutilization issue. (too many people sharing the upstream in your area)
Notice how your connection/graph fairly ok till the early hours, and then spikes again when people would be awake and using their connections?

If any other forum members wish to chime in they're more than welcome,
I'd love to be wrong, since VM don't have the best track history in fixing this.
usually they'll take a while to flag it as such, then the "Fix date estimates" are repeatedly pushed back.

Thanks for the reply Icantcrabhere. I do hope this is not the case as up to now the service has been really good. 

If it is the case then I may have to start looking around for another provider as we need the internet as does everyone else these days, but we need reliability and up to now we've had that.

I'm going to check again in the morning and see how it's been overnight to see if you are right.

Thanks again for responding.

Hi!

I completely agree, 100% cannot be without internet.

One thing i'd suggest is for you to post a live link to your graph.
That way community members/staff can look at the current values (without you needing to post pics)

No worries!

Here's my live broadband quality monitor for the Virgin staff as suggested by Icantcrabhere.

My Broadband Ping 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @mirella75 

The log stats look OK, it's just the dreadful BQM.

Have you looked at Check service status at the top of the page? You can also a run a test on your equipment from there.

If nothing is showing  you could also try the  Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hey newapollo, yes I've run the check service status and it was saying everything is fine in my area (well, it might be for everyone else!) 🙂

I haven't tried that number you suggested but will do so in the morning, thanks for the information.

Round about 10pm tonight the dropped packets stopped happening as much and I was able to play my game without the difficult lag again. 

I got in touch with Virgin and they are sending an engineer out now on Saturday to hopefully resolve or at least look into the issue.

Could I ask a further question about oversubscription, how does that in reality work? Does it happen to a lot of people who are contending with others for a connection in an oversubscribed area, or is it just one particular person who is unlucky in this case? .@Icantcrabhere

Thanks for all your advice up to now forum people 🙂

Hey there!

Everyone in an oversubscribed area will be suffering, not just one unlucky person,
It's almost like trying to share a cake made for 6 people, with 20.
It's a bit of a bugger, really!

Ahh, makes sense now. Thanks! Virgin should make bigger cakes! Or at least buy more ingredients! 😄