Menu
ptking12
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Latency - VM vs OpenReach

Hi everyone,

I've recently been through the process of challenging Virgin Media over my connectivity issues.  I wanted to highlight other forum users the difference in latency between the two.  Obviously this is just in my area and the distance to the "green box" and the quality of your individual connection will impact what connectivity quality you have, but dont listen to the narrative that VM is efficient and reliable everywhere 100%. Depending on your area if VM have oversold then your connection quality goes down the toilet.

Fault code; F004880765

Having said that, i think the results speak for themselves:

Virgin Media:

My Broadband Ping - VM2

My Broadband Ping - VM2

Plusnet (Openreach): 

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet

simatron3000
Tuning in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency - VM vs OpenReach

Jesus that is horrendous. I'm having similar issues, though my graph is no where near as bad, it's enough render latency sensitive tasks (online fighting games) unplayable. I'm getting Zen installed as a result but will keep virgin for the speed. I live on a new estate where virgin is the only fibre option and the builder gives everyone 3 months free trial, so you can bet your boots every residence on the estate will have virgin. 

I get the speed I am promised and to be fair I can understand from virgins perspective the service is adequate for 99% of users. It's just annoying I'm having to get an openreach connection to play games smoothly.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency - VM vs OpenReach

I'm sorry to hear about the connection trouble experienced ptking12,

I've located your details and I can see that the fault ticket mentioned has been flagged via your account and is currently set for review on 14 NOV 2018. You might find that your Virgin Broadband, Virgin TV or TiVo® interactive services are a bit slow at certain times of the day.

I am sincerely sorry for any inconvenience caused,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos