cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency - Ping Issues

deadeagle63
Tuning in

So previously in the past gaming across regions to South Africa (I have friends I game with over there) I used to get between 150-180ms and locally between 10-20ms but since upgrading to the 1Gbps channel it seems as though its actually worse with pings now being increased by 20-30ms. 

I have setup a BQM monitor quite a while ago and ngl the graph isn't looking good... or is it just me?

BQM: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/7885d892e14278f6f3bab3041277656ae0...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

To be completely honest, initially, I wanted to try and get a resolution but after today's appalling customer service I have already started looking elsewhere! Yes, my speed will take a significant hit going from 1Gbps to 100Mbs.. But at least I will have stable internet and better customer service. So sorry for the roundabout but after today I don't want to touch Virgin with a pole arm or wish them on my worst enemy.
Thanks 🙂

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The graph is OK-ish, but those regular spikes suggest your hub is "phoning home" hourly test data to VM.  If you've had a problem then VM may have put it on test, if not then they may need to deactivate that behaviour as it isn't useful for you.  Forum staff will be able to advise when they pick this up.

Cheers for the advice 🙂 Any idea perhaps as to what has caused the ping to go downhill the last couple of months? I only ever game wired directly from the router with a cat-6 cable so not entirely sure what else I could do as I already optimized everything I could think of besides setting up a custom router/modem?

You can use your own router if you choose to and set the Super Hub to modem mode, but you cannot use your own modem with VM.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

@deadeagle63  Any idea perhaps as to what has caused the ping to go downhill the last couple of months?

Possibly power levels drifting or noise on the connection, eg if you've been moved onto a different tap at the cabinet.  You can post your hub status data (see below) and we can take a look, but other than the apparent phone-home ping then I don't think the BQM is sufficiently bad that we'll see a resolvable problem.  Getting your own router is singularly unlikley to improve wired performance unless you're pushing the capacity of the hub with too many devices (consensus seems to be more than 25 devices), because in normal circumstances the BQM is largely showing the performance of the coax network and cable modem.  Buying your own router will usually give better wifi performance, but that doesn't seem to be the issue here.

Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

To be completely honest, initially, I wanted to try and get a resolution but after today's appalling customer service I have already started looking elsewhere! Yes, my speed will take a significant hit going from 1Gbps to 100Mbs.. But at least I will have stable internet and better customer service. So sorry for the roundabout but after today I don't want to touch Virgin with a pole arm or wish them on my worst enemy.
Thanks 🙂

Hi @deadeagle63,

Thanks for taking the time to post on our forums.

I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your connection and for the experience that you've had trying to get your issues resolved.

What happened on your call into the team to make you want to leave us?

Regards,

Steven_L

So I had contacted Virgin through their online support chat, and when I was transferred to a representative I was instantly told that they needed to take their scheduled 15-minute break - so my reasoning is why to take the ticket if you know the break is literally a couple of seconds away, or transfer me dont literally leave the chat >_> But hey ho it is what it is. I learned my lesson, now its just to wait for openreach ultrafast 🙂

Good Afternoon deadeagle63, and we're sorry to hear of the poor customer service experienced.

We certainly don't expect our agents to take a break when picking up a new chat, and they would be expected to work the chats they have before going on a break.

In relation to the services, do you experience any issues with gamers based in the UK?

Do you have any other issues with the services on other devices, on both Wired and Wireless devices?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Sorry for the late reply, I have not been notified by email sadly :C

Yeah, I find in regards to gaming - it's hit and miss; sometimes the ping is 50-60 and sometimes it's low 20-30 and then it's on the same server. There is also quite a bit of jitter in regards to ms usually about 20. But I mean it is what it is, in my area, we only have 63Mbps fibre atm so it's a waiting game.

Yes, it seems the same across all devices ranging from wireless to wired; which is strange as it used to be quite stable.