Re: Large uplink buffer

Yup, still the same..qos.PNG

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 32 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Genuinely looks as though a couple of people are hammering their upload at the peak times there. Not great.

VM have moved you to new equipment with more capacity, moved you to 16 downstream channels from 12 however more are required and your should move to 24 at some point soon.

Your upstreams are 16QAM which isn't ideal. If there are capacity issues in that direction too VM probably need some new fibre to reduce the number of customers sharing the bandwidth and to allow them to upgrade the new channels to 64QAM.

The downstream change will increase capacity by 50%, the upstream changes when done should triple it.
-----

Virgin Media UK, bragging about the incredible increase from 300Mb to 350Mb, have the slowest cable broadband of any member of the Liberty Global family in Europe.

Slower than Virgin Media Ireland, Liberty Global Switzerland, Netherlands, Romania, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, Belgium, Germany.

'We’ve always been proud of our network’s speed and for good reason.' - Anthony Vollmer, Executive Director for Connectivity at Virgin Media
0 Kudos
HawthorneWipe
Joining in
Message 33 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hey guys, does this look "normal" ? VM is completely ignoring me atm. I'm just curious if this is not normal? I was away for Christmas and I didn't test my connection in gaming applications.

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 34 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hello HawthorneWipe, 

Thanks for keeping in touch Smiley Happy

Sorry for not replying sooner, we're not intentionally avoiding you. I've just checked your connection and the fault Nicola told you about has since been resolved. 

Have you noticed an improvement at all?

Speak soon, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
HawthorneWipe
Joining in
Message 35 of 42
Flag for a moderator

I will test next week. But after you said you fixed the issue it got way worse.
Don't know at the moment, but will check.
0 Kudos
HawthorneWipe
Joining in
Message 36 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hi, yup, the issue is still there. I am getting ping spikes during online gaming. The issue was not fixed.

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Superfast
Message 37 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Capacity issue/congestion whatever else I've just read on this, probably has something to do with it, but it sounds more like you have latency issues in games than with speed?

If so, welcome to Virgin's built for gamers network, that clearly was built for gamers of the early 90s playing CounterStrike.... if you have the Hub3 its likely that this is dead duck in your line up, they use the Intel Puma 6 chipset that has a major flaw, and yet 2 years later VM haven't fixed it, nor sent out an alternative router, nor allow customers to use 3rd party modems to solve the problem themselves - the Intel Puma 6 Chipset gets overloaded and interupts itself running a process at the cost of it doing anything else (imagine a queue of people and someone very regularly just walking straight to the front and making everyone wait a bit longer), this result in the packet loss and the high ping spikes, at the moment VM are rolling out a firmware patch that attempts to hide this from ping graphs, but can be replicated by using a TCP or UDP ping tester - this has just hit my Business Modem last night and instantly makes my connection look stable but I know its not lol, and anyone who's been following this will also know that its not. 

Unfortunately it seems that forum staff rarely ever advise that this may be the problem (I think I've seen it twice in the last 2 years of this tenure with VM), and both the consumer and business teams will tell you forever that there are firmware patches coming, but then give you a date that will be missed and should you ask about it you'll either be told there was no planned firmware update, or that it failed or was stopped at the last minute by tech (the latter I get when I question why no down time occured when they said it will as I warn my users prior to the connection going off)

The only thing you can do really is put the hub3/hitron cgnv4 into modem only mode, put your own router (alot of users like Asus or Netgear) behind that for wifi and controlling your LAN, some of the more expensive advanced options have QoS (Quality of Service) which also makes a noticeable impact to your ping and will stabalise it alot more. My personal recommendation is if you are looking at the higher end router market, that you consider setting up a pfsense router instead, this will run more or less on any hardware you pick and will give you a vast amount more control and again better performance than using just a router from Asus or Netgear as its likely the pfsense box you build will have a few gigabytes of memory as opposed to a megabytes.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

0 Kudos
HawthorneWipe
Joining in
Message 38 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hey! Thank you for your message. I actually read some about what you are writing so I kind of know what you're talking about. BUT - the whole thing comes down to one thing - I am not buying an expensive router because I should not be doing that plus I am not paying VM as much as I am paying now. This is one of the most expensive services out there I am on only because my house was already connected and I can't be bothered to change, but as this service is not working as advertised to me, I want to have this either fixed, or the price reduced. VM even increased the monthly payment recently for me...

The last day's monitor. Looks like a latency thing indeed  ; )

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Superfast
Message 39 of 42
Flag for a moderator

I absolutely agree with you, I pay more than a home consumer as I opted for the business option, which seems better than the consumer and during work hours 9am-6pm I supposedly get prioritised traffic, if this is the case it seems to generally be all the time as when I have my traffic shaper turned off I'll max the line out at 220mb most of the timebut usually over 200mb whenever I test, but I shouldn't be having to spend extra money to get the service that I'm already paying for.

For me personally I'm very into tech, I work in IT as well, and do alot of testing/self learning in my spare time as well, hence coming across pfsense a few years ago and having been using it now about 18months odd, and regardless of wanting to spend the money or not, I did because I saw it as a way of having more control, I'd have done it on my old connection as well most likely - as I previously ran a router running ddwrt to have a similar affect and give me more control over my BT line - as well as significantly playing and monitoring the line, pfsense is just that step further, but the nice thing about it is, its unlikely to become obselete any time within the next few years because the processor/memory/capability of the system and OS will constantly be more powerful than you are likely to see in a home device, and the OS will constantly be updated - for example I run an encrypted IPSec tunnel, as well as a proxy server, something that monitors my network traffic giving me detailed output on whats using what bandwidth, when, for how long, what that user was doing - so if its something I don't like after say x amount of time I can restrict the bandwidth available to them which after x more time will allow them full bandwidth again, I also host servers and am able to properly prioritise bandwidth usually without any impact at all on what I'm doing etc... so if you are stuck with VM (as I was in a 2 year contract with VMB) I guess its about making the best of what you have here is my bqm/ping graph for reference - https://i.imgur.com/B9dyxDH.png the disconnect was the line dropping to install the new firmware it looks more stable but the sea of yellow is being better hidden now but its still there, but I tend to see people with way worse than mine when they're running they're hub3 in modem only with a 3rd party router say from Asus or Netgear behind it.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 40 of 42
Flag for a moderator

Hey HawthorneWiple, 

Really sorry you're still having problems. Nothing is raised in your area at the moment so we'll need to continue our investigations. It's showing that your equipment has been online for 58 days without a reboot. Would you please perform a reboot and get back to us so we can check your time-outs. 

Speak soon, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos