cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laggy Connection

KKy7e
Joining in

Hi, ive been having a lot of issues while gaming, i game and i lag a lot but whenever i do a speed test my speeds are fine 100+ download 15+ upload, 20 odd ping, but still im lagging constantly and its really starting to get irritating and im contemplating leaving, i had an engineer out in like february and he said everything is fine... Im just starting to think Virgin arent worth using for broadband, plus we play over the odds for out internet but dont get what we pay for

8 REPLIES 8

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Let's see how latency and packet loss are on your connection: Setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately.

RedGooner
Super solver

Its the SH your using, its not fit for purpose for Gaming.

Go modem mode, and get your own router. Its the best way.

I have been in Modem mode, with a SH, SH2 / AC, SH3 and now an SH4. I never have any lag issues, I game on a PC / PS4 and PS5, all via wired.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

Doesnt modem mode remove the wifi though?

@KKy7e wrote:

Doesnt modem mode remove the wifi though?

Yes it does, think of the VM hub as being three devices (arguably four) in one, a cable modem, a NAT router and a WiFi access point. Putting it in modem mode disables everything other than the cable modem, so you need it provide your own kit to provide these services.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@KKy7e wrote:

Is this the link you require?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/view/564b09cda34f70adce5a6fd3ebbd408febb...

No.  That's your logged in view, and nobody but you can follow that link.  Have a look, there's a link on that page something like "share today's snapshot chart", click on that, press the button "generate", and then post one of links that produces.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

That's better - the links, not what they show which is truly nasty.  The miraculous improvement between midnight and 6am tends to point towards an over-utilisation fault, although there could be other factors at play because it is surprisingly bad during office hours.

Ideally after the hub has been running for say some known time period since last restart of something in the range 12-72 hours, pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.

Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.  That might find a resolvable problem, if it doesn't then we're back to over-utilisation and the not so good options where that occurs.