Menu
Deanozz
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Lag

Really frustrating...lag spikes while gaming..-0.7 downstream and unplayable gaming at time with game freezing and getting wifi signal although im hardwired to router.I have posted before about low downstream only to be told its fine..well if it is fine virgin is sh##.I pay for 350 meg which is not cheap..There is something wrong..I might just go back to bt infinity as i had no issues gaming..Rubbish..

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lag

You mention WiFi and hardwired. Is it your game device that's wired to the router?

Have you done a speedtest with a wired device?

Post your up and downstream stats again now in case they have changed.

And set up a BQM to record the lag spikes.

0 Kudos
Deanozz
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes my xbox one is connected to router via a cable...i will post my stats soon.but what help is this?? I say there is something wrong with my internet while gaming but the virgin media customer service team tell me there is nothing wrong?? I have had fibre optic for over ten years so i know when somethings not right

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The amount of time you claim to have had 'fibre optic' (a very broad term considering you likely mean VDSL) doesn't make much difference to anything. Especially when VDSL and DOCSIS are entirely different technologies requiring different understandings and troubleshooting methods.

You mention -0.7 downstream, I'm assuming this is the power level from your Hubs downstream stats page? If so then yes, that power level is within spec and has nothing to do with the issue you're getting.

I recommend following the steps listed by jpeg1, especially the one for setting up a BQM which will allow you to monitor the latency and packet loss to your connection (if the graph shows full red make sure WAN/external ICMP echo requests are enabled in the Hub.) If you set that up and leave it for a day you should be able to provide the image of the graph here to give us an idea what the connection is like.

Getting stats and troubleshooting is a lot of help when you claim you have a problem, it allows you to be sure and know what to say when you're telling customer services about the problem as opposed to just telling them "I have a problem" and then having to go through their useless scripted sequence which will result in nothing of help.
0 Kudos
Deanozz
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20190419-201856_Samsung Internet.jpg

Does this mean anything?

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The yellow spikes could explain your 'lag', although they are not the worst I have seen. 

The red lines indicate a total loss of service, which could be a Virgin problem or could have been caused by you resetting the modem. 

If that wasn't caused by you, it needs a visit and you should show the BQM to the engineer. Keep it running for reference.

0 Kudos
Deanozz
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

No that wasnt me resetting anything i still had connection though..i knew there was an issue but virgin say there is nothing wrong

0 Kudos
Deanozz
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20190420-122627_Samsung Internet.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Deanozz
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

And there again..So annoying though..i will contact virgin today

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

With an intermittent problem like that it is always difficult to persuade them because it will be OK when they test. 

Check that the coax connections are done up tight as that can cause problems  

0 Kudos